Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removal Companies in Ireland/? bring car

Default Removal Companies in Ireland/? bring car

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can advise me on a good removal company to use from Ireland. How long did it take for container to arrive and was everything ok when it got to NZ.Also have no idea re cost- we have accumulated alot of stuff over the years so prob would need large container.

I live in County Kildare. Also has anyone brought a car over from Ireland. OH has a 07 Ford Mondeo and we are considering bringing it with us.

Is it worth bringing car over ?

Thanks

HI,

I googled it and sent quote enquiries form about 8 firms. They all want to come and 'do a survey' but I limited that to the first three firms, then we have a vague idea of volume I'll get a comparison from the others.

We're in Wicklow. When do you plan on going? We are all over the place at the minute, I thought it would be about September but things are very fast really - I keep saying, oh, next week it will all settle down. I can get in touch next week and let you know how the 'surveys' went.

I wasn't thinking of taking the car - we have a big picasso that I love but they steam clean it when it gets there and I think that costs about 3k alone.

Laura

Hi all

Whilst not in Ireland we brought our car from Scotland. There are various costs associated with bring the car, we were about GBP100 for the compliancec certificate from VW, GBP100 for a clean before it went in the container, about NZD100 for another clean on arrival and about NZD 1200 for getting it licenced and on the road in NZ. To put this is perspective I might have received about GBP10k for the car, but to replace with an equivalent age here would have cost me NZD 28k- 30k....plus we had the space in our container, as we were over 20foot anyway!!

We weren't allowed to take our care (but did not want to anyway). You should take a look at TradeMe and see what the average asking price is for your car, take a look at how much you'd get for it selling it in Ireland, and factor in the extra costs others have mentioned. That should give you a rough idea whether it is a smart thing to do financially.

Don't forget that yo won't pay 'sticker' price for the cars over here, nor of course get 'sticker' pirice for yours either. Mondeos aren't that common over here. You see a few, but Ford have an alternative rear wheel drive saloon that is made in Aus and sold in NZ (the Falcon). But they are sold here, so parts should be available, but may be more expensive than the japanese made cars. Also, and I've said this before, just because you like a mondeo in Ireland doesn't mean that will suit over here. I'd never ever in a million years have had a 4x4 in the UK. But over here, then I've a Shogun/Pajero that is perfect for my lifestyle and needs here. In the UK I'd never have considered getting a tow bar or needed a roofrack, but over here, both have been very handy. The extra space in car parks / and even the depth of the camber on the way into and out of garages / shops means that a 4x4 is more convenient in everyday use.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Mondeos aren't that common over here. You see a few, but Ford have an alternative rear wheel drive saloon that is made in Aus and sold in NZ (the Falcon).
    They are very common around Wellington, certainly more so than the Falcon.

Ian

We used Crown & we're pleased with the service. Took about 12 weeks for our container from door to door. We had a 20ft container, plenty of space for the contents of our apt and all my shoes!

Hi,

We moved 4 months ago from Ireland. Companies to look at are Careline, Crown, Pickfords and AMC. We went with AMC and we had a fantastic experience with them.
    You can haggle the price between them as well.

Pickfords - there is really only one office girl in Ireland and she was always really late at coming back to me on queries where the others were on the button

Crown - v. Expensive

So it was a toss up between AMC (based in Kildare) and Careline - both small companies and seemed good, nice and professional. It think it was price and a recommendation from this forum that swung us with AMC.
    I have to say they were so good.
    They took 2 days to pack up and were lovely.
    It took 10 weeks in total - only about 6 or so at sea - but takes time at either end.

My hubbie shipped his motorbike - they crated it all up and there was no problems - no steam clean required - he just contacted the dealer here in NZ and got it shipped straight there - very little hassle.

If you want more details please PM me..

We took a 40ft container in the end - but wasnt full by any means - we were just over the 20ft and then with the motorbike it made sense to go with 40ft.

PM me and I will send on the quote we got and charges etc...

Good luck with move..

Quote Originally Posted by NAP View Post
    Hi,

We moved 4 months ago from Ireland. Companies to look at are Careline, Crown, Pickfords and AMC. We went with AMC and we had a fantastic experience with them.
    You can haggle the price between them as well.

Pickfords - there is really only one office girl in Ireland and she was always really late at coming back to me on queries where the others were on the button

Crown - v. Expensive

So it was a toss up between AMC (based in Kildare) and Careline - both small companies and seemed good, nice and professional. It think it was price and a recommendation from this forum that swung us with AMC.
    There wasn't much difference in the quotes we got (Wicklow to NZ), though we only had a 20ft containter. I don't think we tried/had heard of AMC when we were looking (2009).

What I did like about Crown was that we were dealing with 1 company in both countries. Crown were also the only ones that bothered to come out and give us a quote, plus we got a month's storage in NZ at no extra cost.

Whoever you go with, definitely shop around for insurance.

We brought our car last year - had the interior professionally cleaned in the UK before loading it up which cost £80, then when we got here it just needed the vents cleaning and the boot vacuuming (grass seeds in there, we lived in the country) which cost $67, steam cleaning the exterior cost $78, transportation from the removal firm here to the garage where they do the compliance checks cost $73 and the MAF inspection fee $25. The car then gets a thorough going over to check it complies with standards and to register it, that is fairly expensive but I can't remember how much it was. I would get two container quotes, one with the car and one without, I think ours differed by about £500. The removal company should be able to tell you more about the system though. For us, it was definitely worthwhile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast