Thread: Young Man Desperately seeking job apprenticeship

Default Young Man Desperately seeking job apprenticeship

Our Son is searching for an apprenticeship.(Tauranga area) He is very interested in two fields, engineering and car mechanics.
    I don't know if you all recall, but we had a job and a half to get him a WHV. Now he is searching hard, so if anyone on here would like to give a 19year old an opportunity, please contact us.
    Maybe you know someone, or have heard of something in this area.

He is a hard working young man, he is my son so he comes from good stock. I have worked hard all my life.
    He needs a job offer, so please if you can help with this you would make a young man very happy, and of course not forgetting Mum & Dad. x

Thanks

Have you tried the polytechs?

For plumbing (just an example), apprenticeships require both work and study. There is a program that apprentices use where they enroll in the polytech and get a job as an apprentice at the same time that is arranged by the program. They do the study concurrent to the on-the-job training.

I assume something similar exists for car mechanics? Perhaps you can ask?

As for engineering, I believe the only option is a 4 year course at university.

The problem with any form of study, he is only entitled to any training/study for six months. Also because he is on a WHV he needs an opportunity of a job offer. I just thought someone might be able to lead us in the right direction. It's hard out there for youngsters, well anyone really. Thanks for the info though.

Have you made any enquiries with "Jobfinders" on Elizabeth St?

My friends partner got/finished an apprenticeship through them (welding)...he is a kiwi though so no issues with visas etc, but may be worth a phone call or visit??

Yep, I will tell him about that. I don't reckon it's great in Manchester trying to get work. So, he is better of here with us. \I am sure he will find something. I am heading to Elisabeth st tomorrow, so I will check it out for him.

cheers