Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ielts

Question Ielts

Though not strictly immigration related, Moderators please forgive my misuse of this forum, it is pertinent to our aspiration to move to New Zealand.

My Wife (PA) is in the process of registering with the Nursing Council of New Zealand (NCNZ), a requirement pre-EOI. NCNZ, in their registration process, say that an applicant must sit the IELTS.

My Wife, is English, educated in England, speaks English, her training as nurse was conducted in English.

Therefore, will the aforementioned English fluency be acceptable proof of her language abilities?

Have any other former UK registered nurses experienced this?

MUST she do the IELTS as directed by the NCNZ?

In advance, Many Thanks.

No, being English and raised and educated in England does not fill the bill in this case. This is an oddity of the NZ nursing registration - ALL nurses have to sit the IELTS examination.

It is worth noticing that quite a few native English speakers have found it quite difficult to achieve the necessary level of pass, due to being totally unused to sitting the kind of English exam that is levelled at foreign learners. It is well worth doing a search on the internet for the various websites which provide sample papers and free practice.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    It is worth noticing that quite a few native English speakers have found it quite difficult to achieve the necessary level of pass, due to being totally unused to sitting the kind of English exam that is levelled at foreign learners.
    I would think that is not so much the level but more the structure and content of the test. It is an artificial situation sitting this exam.
    So I agree that it really pays to obtain some specific information on it.

If u input IELTS into google it will come up with there official website. You can navigate to test paper questions. I am in the middle of looking at them as maybe need to sit it. website very good well worth a look
    Fee

I have used scottenglish web based training for IELTS , here is a link to their website:http://www.scottsenglish.com/ielts/

They provide very detail IELTS simulation test and 10 practise test and they are enough to get any one comfortably through IELTS exame. Hope you find it useful. Some of my friends also found it very useful and liked it too.

Hi,

The lovely IELTS exam!! Unfortunately your wife will have to sit it. I had to do the exam in order to register with NZ nursing council.

I agree with some of the other peoples comments that one would think its very easy for English speakers but its actually not!

It has four separate sections and if I remember correctly its not your overall mark but you have to get above a certain mark in each section.By this I mean you could get 9 which is highest mark in conversational part but only get 6 in written section so you will fail!!

I have friends who failed it as they thought it would be easy for them and didn't do any homework for it.There are very good websites that are great to educate on 'the structure' they want for IELTS. The written section is the hardest & also the reading section. Its worth practising doing mini essays that they will show you how to do on websites.

Good luck- I found application for NZ nurse registration harder than immigration process

Quote Originally Posted by barneybetty View Post
    The written section is the hardest ... section. Its worth practising doing mini essays ...
    Issue being the time constraints on one side and a demand of quality re content and number of words (!) on the other side.

I have done the test because i want to be registered in the medical council of New Zealand, and I can say that the exam was tough ! listening and speaking were the easiest parts.

READING was definitely the hardest, because u dont have enough time, u have literally to SCAN the paragraphs coz u wont have enough time to READ them, and just look for key words that will help u find the answers.

Goodluck!

But what one person finds difficult, another will regard with relief as being their favourite part. People's minds don't all work the same way, and in any case, our language skills (whether in our own or another language), reading, writing, listening and speaking, aren't necessarily all developed to the same extent. (I know this from teaching French, and ESOL courses.) The important thing for native English speakers is not to be complacent about taking the IELTS exams. Check out past papers and do practice, then you'll know what to expect, and can work on anything that turns out to be difficult for you.

IELTS or OET? That is the question!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast