Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doctors, Dentist and Eyes....

Default Doctors, Dentist and Eyes....

Hi, My BUNAC visa has finally come through so I am 100% off to NZ in October this year I was just wondering about Doctors, Dentists and Eyes.....how easy it is to get on the register for Doctors and Dentists and how much do they charge, do they have different ones like in the UK.

What also are the prices of precriptions etc, how does the NZ health care system work compared to our NHS. Generally I'm very luckly health wise but I these type of answers will be good to know.

Thanks

Nikki

Eyes....it costs about $50-$60 for a regular eye test at Specsavers. Other optician chains (called optometrists here) are more expensive. Glasses/contacts are a little more expensive here...there is nowhere cheap like vision express, but you can get decent prices by ordering on-line.

Dentists....very expensive compared to UK, as there is no equivalent of NHS dentist and they are private practices here, but the standard of dentistry is excellent. It seems to cost around $400 for a basic filling or uncomplicated extraction...there are some places that are a little cheaper but you would need to shop around. More complicated dentistry is scarily expensive...my OH needs a half-crown and hasn't found anywhere cheaper than $1300. A full crown in more

Doctors.....prescriptions for subsidised medicines is usually $3. Anything unsubsidised you pay the full price. Sometimes generic brands are cheaper, for example a ventolin inhaler is $14, but a generic salbutamol is $3. Here you pay to see the GP. The cost can vary a lot. Some places (usually in rural areas) charge as little as $30 something, whilst others can cost as much as $80. Children under 6 get subsidised appointments. If you are eligible to enroll with a participating practice, you can get subsidised GP appointments after the next quarterly roll-over day follwing your enrollment, which makes it a bit cheaper....we currently pay $42 with the subsidy. In rural Canterbury we paid $35. There are some medical services that you need to pay for here, that would have been covered under the NHS in UK, but if you are otherwise fit and healthy you'll probably never come across this.

Also, unlike the UK, you are free to register with whichever dentist/GP/Optometrist you wish.....you do not have do register with your nearest one.
    Last edited by Familyofmonkeys; 15th February 2011 at 04:16 PM.

As above. Really, I can't add anything extra other than to say that's absolutely what I've found from teh dentists through to my asthma.

Dentist I've found are very good / all high tech kit. But at a huge price. Fillings betwen $300 and $500. Root canal was estimated at just over $1k (not needed, and compared to GBP295 at a private practice outside of Manchester.

Is there any kind of dental plan do you know?

Southern Cross do one as part of the health cover, and I think there was a brochure in the dentists surgery.

Just to add - many doctors insist on a half hour sign up appointment which costs about $84 at my practice. Also all our scripts have been $3 and we usually get prescribed 3 months worth of whatever it is for that price (anti-histamines, epilepsy drugs, painkillers etc).

I found it a bit odd with my asthma, in that I got a prescription from the doc (at $14 no consultation I think), then took that to the chemist, where I got a 1 month supply. But there were 2 repeats on there, so each month I pop in and the meds are waiting in a bag. Luckily the chemist was convenient, not sure what would have happened if I'd tried to collect the first one whislt away with work / on holidays.....

Also, you need to register ASAP, as then you get enrolled and get a discount. But that enrollment is done quarterly, so it may be 2 days later, or as in my case I missed it by 1 day and then needed to get my asthma meds 2 days before the paperwork came back from the DHB.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Luckily the chemist was convenient, not sure what would have happened if I'd tried to collect the first one whislt away with work / on holidays.....

When I went back to the UK for 2 months I told my Chemist and she gave me all the 3 months supply in one go, all I had to do was sign a form that I was going away and needed the medication. I think you will find most chemists will do this

Wow, just amazed at the prizes you're quoting for the fillings......., very impressive!
    Maybe we choose the wrong region after all

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Fillings betwen $300 and $500.
    That's expensive Duncan. I had a filling done last week after breaking a tooth, cost $180. The dentist was in Christchurch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast