Thread: Power Retailers - Christchurch

Default Power Retailers - Christchurch

There are several different power companies to choose but quickly found the cheapest for Christchurch residents. It was interesting to find a wide variance in pricing between fixed and variable charge out rates. At the end I decided to go with Genesis. My cousin signed up with Mercury back in Dec.

Can any spare some experiences with either power company? My electrician warned me not to go with Meridian or Contact as they take a long time to setup a new account.

At Genesis, I chose the Day/Night plan with a quoted price, including GST and levies, quoted in cents: (10% prompt payment discount still applies on the rates below)

Fixed daily charge: 67.2635 per day (regardless of plan)
    Day rate (7am to 11pm): 22.2870 per kW/hr
    Night rate (11pm to 7am): 10.3845 per kW/hr

For those curious the everyday anytime of the day plan was 21.0795 per kW/hr

Now what I find interesting is the standard everyday anytime plan vs the day rate was only 1.2 cents difference. Meridian's day rate (on Day/Night rate plan) is 27.48+levy per kW/hr. So originally, I never thought to choose a day/night rate plan knowing that the day rate price per kW is bumped up to compensate the drop in the night rate price.

We've recently signed up with Powershop, mainly due to recommendation by colleagues. It's only been a few days though, so I can't confirm one way or the other as yet!!

My aunt switched over to PowerShop (previously Meridian) back in August. At the time the savings was considerable but probably not as competitive now. Like I used their online savings calculator and it showed that Genesis was $400/year cheaper than PowerShop (year analysis). However, I also noticed the daily rate pricing PowerShop calculator uses isn't up to date. Meaning the current rates for many power retailers is far higher than what PowerShop uses to calculate the savings.

When we needed power for our first house in Christchurch we went with Meridian and they sorted us out there and then and have been brilliant with our subsequent house moves.

As far pricing there seems to be so many plans you can almost meet yourself coming backwards

We're on their Plus economy24, with for some reason then gets a rebate of 2.43 c a unit, why they don't just give us the cheaper rate is beyond me but it means

Unit 20.52 c
    Daily charge 92.40c
    Levy 0.24 c

Just called Genesis as there was some confusion on when the day / night rate kicks in. Apparently in Christchurch, night rate kicks in after 9pm and ends at 7am. Many other power retailers have a day & night rate plan that is even more unfavourable than Genesis. Night rate kicking in at 11pm and ending at 7am on top of much higher day rates and less discount on the night rate.
    Last edited by Super_BQ; 28th February 2011 at 07:47 PM.

I'd just like a house and some electricity at the moment ;-)

My dad told me that electricity at night is cheaper.. but my friends doesn't believe me and i think most people (here in chch) doesn't really know that...

It depends on which electricity plan you choose with the power company. For eg. the price list in the following link shows various plans you can choose.

http://www.novaenergy.co.nz/sites/de...ril%202014.pdf

The plan for "Variable Day & Variable Night" is an option for those that want to save by using the night rate tariff. However, beware the day time rate is much higher. So savings depends on how and when you use your electricity throughout the day and night.