Thread: Don't miss the Hokitika Gorge

Default Don't miss the Hokitika Gorge

As an expat Kiwi, I lived my first 30 years in New Zealand and it wasn't until I returned from a vacation in the US in 2008, that I was shown the Hokitika Gorge.

I had literally hopped off the plane in Christchurch the day before, after a long long flight and wondered why my father would torture me to go to the Wild Foods Festival in Hokitika by driving to it the same day I got in to town.

I won the tickets, but the next morning, on the Saturday, I was dragged out of the motel room and driven to a remote location, past the site of the Stanley Graham massacre many years before.

We drove seemingly into the middle of nowhere and I wondered, what wa so spectacular about this river?

You have to see it to believe it.

The swing suspension bridge is charming, the river a turquoise blue, even under a gray day. And there are plenty of those on the Coast.

This is a stunning phenomenon and I would recommend it to any one who either lives in NZ or who is thinking about traveling or moving there.

It's about 20 miles out of Hokitika on the West Coast. Trust me, it's beautiful and you'll never forget it.

It's perhaps not as well known as Punakaiki, north of Greymouth, but is possibly more spectacular (even if the former is still one of my favorite Kiwi spots).

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

We drove out to see it on our recce in 2009. It is stunning. It's a little out of the way but worth it in my mind. There was nobody else there when we visited. You can find some pics here. Scroll right!

Quote Originally Posted by Upside_Down View Post
    , the river a turquoise blue, even under a gray day. And there are plenty of those on the Coast. This is a stunning phenomenon and I would recommend it to any one who either lives in NZ or who is thinking about traveling or moving there.
    This turquoise water you also have in Central Otago or High Country (South West Canterbury).

On those trips I made to West Coast I have not yet managed to visit H. Gorge - unfortunately!

We were there in January, It is well worth the short drive from Hokitika.