Thread: hotel in AKL ?

Default hotel in AKL ?

Auckland City Oaks in CBD..has anyone ever stayed there? Looking for hotel with 2 kids (that will share same room) for just 1 night after arriving in AKL at 0800 local time.
    Our flight gets in early and with 2 kids need access to a room probably around 1000, also need somewhere to leave luggage upon arrival? Any suggestions?
    We will be getting a taxi from the airport and then picking up van next day in the am.
    Thanks for the responses to my multi questions and postings.

no specific hotel advice sorry, but just wondering if you need to stay in the CBD? If it's just for one night, and you've got small kids who will need to run around outside after the flight, perhaps a suburban motel would be better, maybe closer to the airport, or near a kid-friendly park etc? Where will you be picking up the van from?

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

No specific hotel advice but try wotif.co.nz for some good deals. AKL airport is a llllooooonnnnggggg way from the airport. So depending on where you're picking the van up from the next day, you may want to stay closer to there, which will be cheaper too. However if you're picking up from the city, might as well!

Holiday Inn is the best place I've found to the Airport so far. Pool and courtyard there, bus service to teh airport (about 5 mins), but for 4 of you a taxi would be cheaper anyway I'd have thought.

Taxi is going to cost towards $100 btw!

There is an airport bus.

In town I can recommend the Herritage, City Life and Crowne Plaza

No, I meant a taxi to Holiday Inn Auckland Airport. Depends where the 'van' is bdeing picked up from, when we wereon the recce it was jsut round the corner from the airport and not CBD.

Personally for in CBD I prefer the Rendezvous to CityLife which we found very disapointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Personally for in CBD I prefer the Rendezvous to CityLife which we found very disapointing.
    Haven't stayed at Rendezvous but I also don't rate CityLife; I was put up there one night for a conference last year and the room seemed a little tired. Most of the other conference attendees were in the Stamford Plaza which was, apparently, excellent.

I wasn't too disappointed though - the reason I was in CityLife is that the conference was with my ex-employer and the staff were put up in CityLife as it was cheaper - so I got to party with my ex-colleagues.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    We are picking up the van from an address in Manganere. The only reason I was looking at the CBD is for things to keep the kids busy for that sunday as we will have no rental car and we get in at 8am. It may be better just to hang out at the hotel, pool etc and then make the most of the time the next 2 or 3 days or so in AKL. (I have a friend who is going to help show us around.)
    I am guessing that the airport hotels are more understanding with checking in at crazy hrs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    The only reason I was looking at the CBD is for things to keep the kids busy for that sunday as we will have no rental car and we get in at 8am.
    If you do decide to stay out by the airport then there are a few things to do near there depending on how old your kids are. Butterfly Creek has a big butterfly house as well as a few crocs, small petting zoo, a few creepy crawlies (like wetas) and a minature railway. There is also a crazy golf course nearby (and a proper one as well I think).

Quote Originally Posted by James 1077 View Post
    If you do decide to stay out by the airport then there are a few things to do near there depending on how old your kids are. Butterfly Creek has a big butterfly house as well as a few crocs, small petting zoo, a few creepy crawlies (like wetas) and a minature railway. There is also a crazy golf course nearby (and a proper one as well I think).

That sounds right up their street. They are 4/6 yr old boys...holiday inn it will be,
    thanks so much.