Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joining the 'Ping Pong Poms' ?

Default Joining the 'Ping Pong Poms' ?

We returned from NZ almost 2 years ago having spent almost a year there. However no matter how hard we try we can not get NZ out of our system. Our main reasons for returning were family and 'englishness'. The material things we missed about UK we now have but find we miss some of the things from NZ. As for family - it is not what we thought or wanted it to be. Our ageing parents are ok and would have been ok without us. Our siblings have never been close and nothing has changed. Our older son is now more settled and would be able to take our move back much better now.

We have spent a lot of time talking about NZ and what we miss and wish we had done and we have come to the conclusion that nothing is for ever and that we are more than likely to join that growing club of ping pong poms sometime in the next 10 years (that is how long we have left before we are too old). Although things do change and if we get really settled, become grandparents etc... in that time then we will have to re think our plans. We also have to consider the financial implications - emmigrating is not cheap and we want to be on a better financial footing than we are at present before we make the final decision - although if we win the lottery tomorrow it wil be 1st class seats out ASAP

What we do know is that if we do return we have more knowledge about what to do, where to get help and will not make any of the mistakes we made when we first came over. We will also know what to expect and will be willing to make compromises which we did not do last time.

So to the future and maybe see you all in the next few years

Smile

Ah Nikki! we would welcome you, we have returned as you know this time I think we are not thinking this is it forever but this is where we want to be for now, we managed to return before the 2 year expiry on the visa and should be able to apply this week for what was IRRV. The blow was softened by my new employer funding all expenses to move other than the dog (some well travelled mutt huh! but would not be without him!) we are enjoying Auckland far better than Wellington which 2 years ago I never thought I would say. Best of luck with your plans/life keep in touch!
    Jane

Wow Nikki - that is the last thing I expected to read. Will you come back to North Canty do you think?

Nicky, I remember reading your posts when I very first began frequenting the forum.
    I hope you get to go back to New Zealand, it's got to be easier second time round!
    I wish you all the best and peace of mind in the meantime. Shona

Hey Nicky join the club we have been back in NZ for 18 months now!

Second time round is so much easier, ime. Also, if I was a betting woman I'd say that now you've realised that you want to be back in NZ, you'll be here soon. As a nurse I presume you could organise yourself a relocation package?

Either way, good luck. When the plane touches back down and you know you've got another chance here it's a wonderful feeling- relief and excitement without the nerves of first time round (just an awareness of what's crap about NZ).

Good for you Nicky and hope things work out for you second time around :-)

Nicky,

I never post these days, just have a peek now and again for familiar names and what they are up to (stalker!!!!).

you were one of the people who used to keep me ticking along during the application process and then I followed your journey too. It is lovely to hear you still have New Zealand in your heart and have not closed the door.

It's all still waiting for you.

Never say never

Quote Originally Posted by wilson182 View Post
    Wow Nikki - that is the last thing I expected to read. Will you come back to North Canty do you think?

It is very likely we will return to North Canterbury. We loved it there, it had all we wanted and more. Just need to bide our time here and see what happens. Although we hope to have a holiday there before then. We even have the travel bug now that we never had before

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast