Thread: Are we making the right decision??

Default Are we making the right decision??

OK - I have been meaning to post this for a while now as we were issued PR on 8th September 2010.

Our eldest daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes on 4th October 2010 (post PR being granted) and ever since, we have put the whole NZ emigration to the back of our minds and even thought about never going.

We are now at a stage where our daughter is now settled into her 'new' routine and we also have three other children (aged 7,6 and 4) who are growing up quickly.

Over the past few weeks our minds have once again become more focused on making the move but I have also recently set up a new business hiring vintage china and accessories to weddings, parties etc.

This business is easily transferable to NZ but I am worried about the response to it over there.

We both know that in the long term the move would be sooooooo beneficial to us all but it is making that initial step and booking flights before this September to go over and 'register' our visas.

I am worrying myself sick over it all and know that we have to go.

Anyone else felt like this or been in a similar situation?? I would love to hear other peoples experiences of making the move.

xxxx

There are LOTS of mentions on old threads about the tension felt by people in the final run-up - you are far from alone in feeling a kind of stage-fright.

I guess that it must be completely natural to feel uncertain and nervous. Maybe you need to think back to why you first chose to apply and whether things have changed enough since then to mean that you no longer want to go?

Whatever you do try not to stress too much and the best of luck to you.

Some good advice by MPTopham. Lots of things to consider for sure, however take serious stock in your comment about what's good for the long term.

We're in a similar situation here in the States. We have felt for a number of years that we no longer feel at home here and that it's time to go. We started by researching a move to Ireland (even made a recon trip back in '09) but ran into problems with EU employment regulations for non-EU nationals. Oy! (In hindsight maybe it wasn't such a bad thing!) Then one thing lead to another and New Zealand came to the forefront.

The problem we're encountering is one of those noted "rock and a hard place" scenarios. We KNOW we need to move. We WANT to move. Our children want to move. Our country is literally falling apart all around us and future prospects only look worse. However with one salary (my wife is a stay-at-home educator) and the way the market has turned, we're not in the best of shape financially.

So many things to weigh and consider... How to pull this off successfully... ? *sigh!* I know exactly what you mean about worrying yourself sick, wondering what to do.

I hope you are able to come to a quick, well-thought decision. Best of luck to you! Let us know how things turn out.

~DonD

Thank you for all of your advice.

We are very much like DonDeLaVega and also know that we want to move to NZ. It's just a case of finally getting things organised and DOING it!!!!

My husband has provisionally set a date of January 2012 for us to move out to NZ for good as we want to be there before the start of the new term at school.

I think I am just having last minute jitters and there is just soooooo much to organise!!!! Plus sooooooo much cash to raise before we go.

Think I am going to start a new thread regarding first steps in moving as I really do not know where to start.

xxxx

I have been here almost eight months now, but I still remember the feeling of what on earth am I doing, in those months before the move. At the end of the day we had to wait for our house to sell..and just after 7 weeks from offer we found ourselves here.

Tears, goodbyes and heartache were left behind and we thoroughly enjoy what we have so far found. Yes, there are times I miss my old life, my close friends, but there is so much here that I enjoy too!!

I would say that every decision is a right one. As long as you tried to do the best.

I have a more philosophical or theoretical approach. There all you can do (use) is useable - in the widest sense of meaning(s)!