Thread: NZ v UK Government Sector Salaries?

Default NZ v UK Government Sector Salaries?

I'm looking for jobs with the government in NZ, particularly in the Procurement/Commercial role. I've seen some roles that might be worth applying for (via seek and jobs.govt websites) but I don't understand the salary bands they refer too.

E.G what is A8/B1?

In the UK I have been employed as a Grade7 (circa £50k annual) Does anybody know what the comparable band would be in NZ?

Grateful for any advice

Each government agency has its own salary band system and pay scales for the same job can also differ between agencies. Unfortunately the best way to know is add this to any other questions you may want to ask them.

Good question. I would suggest that you disregard the various pay codes etc completely (how long have you worked in local government?). What you should concentrate on is searching for what senior management procurement salaries attract, in local government here in NZ (I'm assuming your in a senior role for that type of money). If you wish to keep it simple, simply search Seek or Trade Me. Be mindful however, that generally NZ salaries are lower than the UK, and you must be prepared to accept this - your holiday entitlement will be nothing like your used to either (or the perks). This is offset however by many other things, namely, the reasons you are considering leaving and looking towards Australasia.

Consider geographical location too. This can have a significant impact on your salary. What you should REALLY be considering is "can I accept a 20% deduction in my salary" if the answer is yes, then you may achieve this and depending on location and job vacanies at the time, surpass.If the answer is an outright no, then you may want to consider Australia.

The reason I ask how long have you been in local government is simple - Government works differntly here, naturally, than the UK. I reckon if you have been in government for over 10 years you might be either pleasantly suprised or completely shocked.

Why dont you make some informal phone calls to NZ......
    Do some more research......................
    Type into Google "google new zealand" and then do some more searching....

Good luck and all the best, hope some of this has been helpful.

Snapaenz

Thanks so much for that.

I've been in central government for 18 years (long time) so I'm hopeful on the skills and experience front. Plus I'm a qualified procurement professional.

Thanks for the research tips, I'm registered in Seek and on Jobs.govt.nz but not on trade me. I've also resistered specifically on the Ministry of Economic Development. I think Wellington is my best bet (so that's where I'm focussing my efforts). More than happy to take a pay cut (I'm expecting that), as you say the benefits of NZ outweigh any salary demands.