Thread: Success securing a teaching position in NZ from overseas...

Default Success securing a teaching position in NZ from overseas...

I realize that applying from overseas is not the best approach and that NZ employers much prefer to hire an applicant they can meet in person (face to face) BUT has anyone been successful securing a teaching position by applying from overseas?
    Thanks,
    Amy.

I got an Early Childhood position applying from U.K. and had one interview by phone for a primary position (didn't get it). You surely stand a good chance as you're NZ registered with experience? Perhaps follow up applications with email/phone call to Principals?

I applied for high school social studies positions for nine months before I moved out here, still looking for a job.

The first thing to do is make sure your CV is Kiwi'fied. They like them long (3-5 pages), and in kiwi language. For my last job, I've been over here just over a year, I typed out a subject conversions table (NZ History -> World History, NZ Geo -> World Geo, Pacific Studies, etc.). It helped clarify my CV.

If your planning on staying in NZ long-term, I would start your Skilled Migrants Visa application, schools like to know you're looking to stay and you'll be more prepared with the proper paperwork for when a job offer comes along.

If you know ANYONE in the NZ school system an email from them to the DH at the school you are applying to is the same as gold. It doesn't matter that the people know each other. That's how I landed my current job. A teacher friend emailed another teacher, that forwarded the email to a few schools DH's in the area. None of us had ever heard of each other, but I was invited to come in for an interview before the job was advertised because of it. Crazy.

Hopefully all that will land you some interviews. If all else fails take a vac. down here and hand in your CV's in person. Even if they don't have anything at the time, it will make you a top candidate for when they do.

If your looking for some more information about teaching in Auckland high schools I've posted some blogs about my experiences (I've been here since Oct. 2009) www.brokenluggage.wordpress.com.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by aphistory View Post

If you know ANYONE in the NZ school system an email from them to the DH at the school you are applying to is the same as gold. It doesn't matter that the people know each other. That's how I landed my current job. A teacher friend emailed another teacher, that forwarded the email to a few schools DH's in the area. None of us had ever heard of each other, but I was invited to come in for an interview before the job was advertised because of it. Crazy.
    That's interesting Aphistory. We know a couple of Primary teachers in the area we're looking to move to, both working currently who've been there 5 and 2 yrs respectively. So you think a word from them to a school they don't even work at is a valuable thing? This would be treated as something of an 'endorsement' to your application?

I think we'll have to have a chat with them about it with the promise of a nice bottle of something when we land.

Hello,
    We have not yet got to NZ but have contacted many heads from various schools/colleges asking their advise and opinion on employing teachers from the UK. The response was extremely encouraging saying that UK teachers are highly sort after due to their experience and many schools/colleges have a selection of british teachers working in them. Have you put your CV with all the agencies? This too is useful. Good luck!!

From my experience over the last two years any NZ connection is a good one. An endorsement from your friends could make all the difference.

We had a UK teacher hired on the spot (he just randomly was dropping CV's off at schools) with the knowledge that he went to Uni with another teacher back in Scotland. They didn't know each other, but no one seemed to think that was important.

Just a quick question APHistory: Do you feel like your salary is enough to live on, and still have an expendable income left over? I worry that the amount paid is not enough to live comfortably on.

Thank you.

New Horizon i am worrying about the same thing. is it possible for two people to live on a teachers salary in NZ? - I will also have my student loan to pay down :S.

We survived reasonably on one teachers salary back in 2007...with a mortgage of about 320k and 3 kids too. Obviously we weren't living lavishly, but we never felt that there were things we wished we had but couldn't afford either.

Amy.

Quote Originally Posted by aphistory View Post
    From my experience over the last two years any NZ connection is a good one. An endorsement from your friends could make all the difference.

We had a UK teacher hired on the spot (he just randomly was dropping CV's off at schools) with the knowledge that he went to Uni with another teacher back in Scotland. They didn't know each other, but no one seemed to think that was important.
    That's incredible isn't it? Well, hopefully the contacts we have in schools willl make a difference for my OH when she starts applying.