Thread: Relocation 'contribution'

Default Relocation 'contribution'

I have been told by a friend that employers will make a contribution towards removal expenses when they recruit from overseas. We are quite a large family and I'm just looking at costs at the minute, and they are huge! Does anyone have any idea what of sum is normal or average? Obviously an employer is not going to foot the bill for moving 7 people, a dog and the contents of a 5 bedroom house, but if I had some idea I could start to make decisions about what stays and what goes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 123laura View Post
    Obviously an employer is not going to foot the bill for moving 7 people, a dog and the contents of a 5 bedroom house, but if I had some idea I could start to make decisions about what stays and what goes etc.
    Mine did - well six people and a cat (and reloaction advisor, all the costs of the visas, and temporary accomodation and a settling in allowance). It will depend on the job and how much they want you. There is an upper limit after which is a taxable benefit.

At the moment Aussie companies are recruiting so many Kiwi's there are becoming some major skills shortages....

Also if you don't ask you don't get

Do a search on here for previous times this has been asked. There is no 'set amount' and it will vary between sectors, employers and of course individuals. Probably less prevalent now than a few years ago in many sectors though. Unlike 99% of the questions you have then you may find that this is one that people are less keen to provide precise details of what they did of didn't get offered.

Hi 123laura,

Few Kiwi employers offer relocation assistance; it is certainly not the norm and there isn't an average sum you can count on. It all boils down to supply and demand; if you are in a highly specialized field and the employer is desperate to have you on board, there may be room for negotiation.

Cheers

Hila

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I don't believe it is the norm at all, as your friend suggests. Some will. Some won't. As benhila suggests, it's down to the individual employer.

I got very little from my employers when they recruited me. But then it's a small company (5 people) so I couldn't count on it and I understand it would have been a uhge ask - especially as I've seen the P&L sheet! But I did ask for a little, and got even less. But I did get something. First two weeks' accommodation and car rental paid for.

I was even talking to Air NZ informally about a job at one point and asked if they helped with relocation. The answer was that "typically" they didn't offer any assistance. I took the "typically" to mean there may be room for negotiation. After all, the least they could do is help out with flights!

It varies as folks have already said - we got hubby's flight paid for and 3 weeks accommodation for us all when we arrived Not a huge amount but every little helps

Cheers
    Karen