Thread: Gardening advice please

Default Gardening advice please

Hi All,
    Any budding gardeners out there who maybe can advise me how my bushes can go from this

to this in less than 10 days. The top pic was taken 10 days ago

These plants have been in for 2 years and have been doing fine, the ground is not dry or wet yet in less than 10 days they have died off. All my other plants of the same species are fine its only 4 out of 8 plants in one row. All other plants are fine too of different types, its just these 4
    Last edited by Dave in NZ; 21st February 2011 at 12:02 PM.

You could take the picture and a clipping of the plant into a garden center. It might be a disease or some insects which have sucked out the juice of the leaves on a feeding frenzy.
    How frustrating!

Are these four in a shadier position than the ones which survived? That may be a factor. They might also have had less water if they are more sheltered from rain. It could be pest or disease, but it's odd if their neighbours of the same species are not at lease slightly affected.

Could some noxious substance have dripped onto them? In the UK, my grandparents had some plants die because a fox had taken to peeing on them!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Could some noxious substance have dripped onto them? In the UK, my grandparents had some plants die because a fox had taken to peeing on them!
    I contacted a garden guru who has been so helpful and even rang me up and got me checking the roots etc and he says because of the suddeness of it he suspects some sort of poisoning but how that has happened i will never know.I get on with all my neighbours lol

If it was a disease it would have taken longer than this to go from fully healthy to dead plus the other plants right alongside are fine so the mystery continues. The only way to find out is to have the bush tested but at hundreds of dollars I do not think so. I will clear it out ,put fresh soil in and try again
    Last edited by Dave in NZ; 22nd February 2011 at 07:28 AM.

We're thinking poisoning too as it's been so quick, no leaf fall that you expect from a naturally dying plant.

Bit of mystery