Thread: PR Activation

Default PR Activation

Hi everyone!

Just back from NZ after activation of our PR visas. I had assumed that the immigration officer would put a stamp with a notation like "Entry as PR noted. Applicant may also to travel to and from New Zealand for two years from this date, etc." Instead, just got a stamp which notes the arrival date in NZ and is identical to the one we received when visiting NZ some years ago. Because of the notation on the visa "upon application may be granted a permit...", I asked the officer just to confirm that that's all we needed - he said there's nothing more to it. My question to you all: Do I need anything besides the entry stamp giving a date (which is prior to the PR visa expiry date) and the two blue stickers to consider myself a resident with permission to travel in and out for two years, or should I have actually applied for a permit or some other document while in NZ?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by NJ2NZ; 22nd February 2011 at 01:50 PM.

It is my understanding that is correct, based on my passport on arrival and my wife's who activated, then retunred to the UK.

However, given the importance of the issue then you should be reassured, but are strongly advised to seek confirmation from NZIS directly on this issue.

Thanks, Duncan. I'll have to take your experience as my only guide and take comfort. Its too late to do anything about it even if there was something else to be done. Our PR visas expired on Feb 19.

The situation you are in is totally correct - we activated our PR visas in Feb 09, holidayed for 2 weeks, and then went back to South Africa to sell our properties, which took some time. We returned to NZ permanently in Dec 09 and no problems. We are now in the situation where we have to apply for our IRRV as our original one (2nd blue sticker in passport) expired on 22 February 2011 - earthquake day. We just need to sort out once Immigration in Chch is up and running again. This doesn't affect our Permanent Residence in any way though. All it means is that we can't leave NZ at the moment as we wouldn't be able to get back in again with the returning residence visa having expired.

Check out the NZ immigration site, 6 month automatic extension under some circumstances if you were being dealt witby the Christchurch office and details of where to go for new stuff.

Simon