Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has the quake put you off Christchurch?

I have construction in ChCh as my backup plan if I cant find work in Wellington. I had ChCh as my primary plan until the last earthquake made renting too expensive

We aren't planning on leaving NZ, though OH has brought up leaving ChCh if for no other reason the constant aftershocks (are we at 5000 yet?). Though I'd really drag my feet on that as I have a fantastic job that I'm not likely to be able to replace. We're more likely to move further out, but then we always planned to do that anyhow.
    Having been in the 1989 earthquake in California that had similar devastation I wasn't very comfortable around brick buildings and am even less so now. I think I'll be very hesitant to go into the CBD for the forseeable future.

There's no way we'll be leaving. We planned for so long our move here, back to my husbands home, we arrived just 1 week before the sept quake!! Then i lost my father back in the UK to cancer, my mum and brother have come here for a holiday to get over it all and end up having to deal with this too!! Luckily for us we have been relatively unaffected, still have power, water etc.
    I feel extremely proud to be a part of the community here, we've had friends and family all over NZ offer us a place to stay but i can't bring myself to leave, hubby works as a butcher for countdown and has to stay and work, i'm a pre school teacher just starting my studies and this is our home now. As much as i'm so 'over' all these awful aftershocks (which i thought were FINALLY coming to an end) we are definitely staying put!!

I do wonder if business and tourism will suffer. Will businesses place centres and head offices in Christchurch? Will it be more expensive to do so. Will they be able to recruit talent if people displace in the wake of the disaster?
    Will tourists stay in Christchurch? I can imagine people will go for a look to understand what happened but I imagine the industry will suffer to a degree.
    Right now, if I was offered a 2 day a week job there for a million bucks a year, I'm not sure i'd move my family there after the 2 quakes although rationally I know the chances of future tragedy are as equal as anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    I do wonder if business and tourism will suffer. Will businesses place centres and head offices in Christchurch? Will it be more expensive to do so. Will they be able to recruit talent if people displace in the wake of the disaster?
    Will tourists stay in Christchurch? I can imagine people will go for a look to understand what happened but I imagine the industry will suffer to a degree.
    Right now, if I was offered a 2 day a week job there for a million bucks a year, I'm not sure i'd move my family there after the 2 quakes although rationally I know the chances of future tragedy are as equal as anywhere else.
    I think initially it will suffer of course but think of San Fransisco and other cities which have been shaken by quakes, they still have booming tourism!!
    It's definitely going to take some time but i think Christchurch will eventually bounce back better and stronger!!

Quote Originally Posted by LauraB3 View Post
    As much as i'm so 'over' all these awful aftershocks (which i thought were FINALLY coming to an end) we are definitely staying put!!
    Bravo for that sentiment - I believe this is the general consensus accross the board. However I do think some people will be hesitant in making Chch their home for the forseeable future and that businesses may also suffer in the short term but in the long term I believe Chch will come through

Quote Originally Posted by LauraB3 View Post
    I think initially it will suffer of course but think of San Fransisco and other cities which have been shaken by quakes, they still have booming tourism!!
    It's definitely going to take some time but i think Christchurch will eventually bounce back better and stronger!!
    There is a lot to be learnt from other major cities that have suffered and come through.

Stark reality is that a lot of people will leave Christchurch due to lack of options. I would not be surprised to see 50,000 residents leaving permanently in the short term. When they have lost their job, their home, their car, there really isn't much other option but to leave.

They say if you lose material things it's not so devastating as losing a life. True, but the facts come clear when there are no jobs for these people (no income), then they will obviously have to move to another place or country.

Tourism will be hit hard in Christchurch as landmark buildings and places are removed.

I myself won't move because my income is not dependant in Christchurch - more importantly, it's staying together with my relatives. There's more to showing my commitment to my family than to go run off like a weakling.

Aye you're right there SBQ lots have already left and probably wont return in the short term.

I think the tourism will probably not suffer and what happens as regards the RWC will give us a clue. I suspect there will be people who'll want to come and look at what's happened and in the long term I'm sure those who want to help by putting Dollars into the local economy will visit .
    Christchurch is a hub for people visiting the South island so will always have tourists, where in the past they may have spent a few days here they may of course now just spend a night as some the tourist attractions are no longer there or have not been rebuilt yet.

We will stay put....well once we get back home permanently. The house is structurally sound, have arranged this morning to get windows put back in (thought that as the rental agent was busy he probably would be happy to get things dealt with) have photo evidence of the breakages..and it means that once the power and water are back we can move back as the house is structurally sound......just a blinking mess....

Now does anyone have any ideas on the best way to remove two dozen eggs, yoghurt, milk and various other indescribables from the carpet???

I think for a fleeting second we thought about leaving, put to be honest we feel Chch is our city and we need to play our small part in the rebuilding.
    The people of Chch have made us so welcome since we have been here how could we just up & leave.
    My OH was in A&E all yesterday and is back there today, Son is in the city with the NZ army & even my daughter is doing her bit at her P/T job serving emergency services with fuel.
    I am at home feeling a bit helpless, as work is destroyed but as soon as the call comes for volunteers I will be out working
    I dont really know what the future holds but I do know it is in Christchurch.
    PS If any forumites need soom accomodation please pm me and we will try and sort something

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast