Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has the quake put you off Christchurch?

Default Has the quake put you off Christchurch?

I ask this because I was watching a BBC news report today where they spoke to an expat in Christchurch. At the end of the interview they asked him if he would be staying in Christchurch now and he said that he & his family are going to return to the UK - they have been in CHCH for 4 years. I wondered if any other expats had decided enough is enough and would be moving away or even returning to the UK? Also for those about to make the move has this affected your decision to settle in Chch?

We haven't moved yet but it is hopefully imminent
    Going to Napier, that has an old history of disastrous quakes, but the present quake has made no difference to our plans
    Much sympathy to those have lost friends and relatives but you cannot define your life by fear of what may happen
    I'm still going to move
    Personally I worry more about the perilous state of the northern hemisphere with Northern Africa imploding
    Having grown up in Belfast in the 70's and been partially deafened by a bomb blast as a child I don't worry about the 'morrow
    It will bring what it will bring

Francis

For us and our close friends it's given us a determination to stay and help with the rebuilding.
    When Clare's daughter asked the question an hour ago on Skype it was a categoric "No" we're staying this is our home. There are more things in the UK that frighten me more than Earthquakes.

Mind you having said that we've not suffered damage to our house and I may well think different in that case but my gut feeling is no probably no.

when the first big aftershock hit we both ran out on the deck and i shouted at the top of my voice, " Come on you B*****D we're going nowhere"

Hi Ben and Clare

glad you are both ok, as for the question? it aint going to stop us coming over in august to live in christchurch although we might have to bring a tent if CNN is to be believed,

i have already made a few calls to employers and agents saying we are over for a hoilday in april and if needs be i can stay on to help,

stay safe and hopefuly see you soon for a drink or two or more

all the best Si and Georgie

Plenty of room for tents here or a bed if need be

We are more determined than ever to move. Although we haven't decided where we are going to settle I would be more not less inclined to move to Christchurch. I have been blown away by the stories of people coming together to help each other and the way Kiwi's across the country have responded.

Mark

I'm very glad to see that lots of people will stay in Chch, that's true Kiwi spirit!

My brother is down there, his house is okay but his workplace has gone. He'll stay I think and carry on as best as he can, no idea what he'll do for an income now though... I'm just hoping that nature has had her biggest rumble of the city and they can just get on with getting themselves back together again.

I can understand people wanting to stay, and have that resolve actually strengthened.

But is it a good idea to move there at the moment or in the forseeable future? Doesn't that just add to the infrastructure problems, the job shortage, housing shortage issues, etc?

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    But is it a good idea to move there at the moment or in the forseeable future? Doesn't that just add ... the job shortage,
    That depends on the sector you are working in. Especially the construction sector but also services related ones will have quite some demand for professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    Doesn't that just add to the infrastructure problems, the job shortage, housing shortage issues, etc?

Daniela
    As mentioned above, it's a balance thing. For many you're right, it's going to be tough to move there. More population will place more strain on the road, power, water, eductation, healthcare and communications networks. Accomodation will be in short supply and so rents will be high, and ultimately will mean that at some point there will be people who are unable to find suitable accomodation somewhere in the poulation chain. In the other hand, the region will need people with all manner of skills, clearly structural engineers, geologists, but councillors, electricians, surveyors, truck drivers, and the hundreds of other vocations that need to secure, clear and rebuild. And those people will have the same everyday needs, so the shops will still be needed to feed and clothe the population. And the region needs the taxes from those people all the more.

You're right that they don't need people arriving and putting pressure on the region today, but there will be the need for a managed re-population in teh coming months and years.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast