Thread: Your secondary education job experience

Default Your secondary education job experience

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could relate the difficulty (or ease) with which they acquired a secondary teaching job in New Zealand. I will be moving to Auckland in July hoping to acquire an English or Social Studies teaching position and wonder what my chances might be. I have six years of experience in my field.

Thanks in advance!

I hate to offer cloudy news, I know immigrating over here is full of worry anyway. But... I moved out here last Oct. with 8 years social science teaching experience back in the states. I can tell you social studies will be hard to find. They split up the subject into Classics, History, and Geo here. I've found that my years of teaching everything from World history to Economics only confused people here. Plus, there were many more teacher graduates in the social science fields last year then their were jobs, I know several student teachers at my school last year that are not working yet.

English on the other hand is much less regulated. Seems crazy but just about anyone (including me, I taught junior English and social social studies last year) can teach English here. And there are jobs available in Auckland.

From what I've seen the hierarchy of Job placement is as follows:

Experienced NZ Teachers that are friends with someone in Admin.
    Experienced NZ Teachers
    Newbie NZ Teachers strait out of Uni
    British Teachers
    Anyone else out there
    American Experienced Teachers

Be ready to take a job teaching random stuff, for random periods of time, most likely at less then wonderful schools. LTR is the way to go, many schools will consider LTR's before outside application for real jobs.

Remember though, you will be a new immigrant. You will have to do some dirty work before your CV is NZ impressive.

I blog about my move to NZ and working in schools here if your interested. www.brokenluggage.wordpress.com

Thanks for your response. I am wondering do you now have a long term position in an Auckland high school after all the time you've been there? I would prefer to move to Auckland and am disheartened to know the difficulty with which a job is acquired.

Thank you.

I picked up a Long term relief position in S. Auckland two days before the school year started in 2010. This year I have picked up a much better LTR (with the knowledge that another history teacher will be leaving next year) just S. of Manukau. A permanent job would be ideal, but jobs are sparse at the moment.