Thread: Census 2011

Default Census 2011

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/chri...d-due-to-quake

Due to the situation in Christchurch, it has been decided to cancel this year's Census planned for 8th March.

Thanks for the news!

However I think it is better not to rely on secondary sources.

So here the link to Statistics NZ http://www.stats.govt.nz/browse_for_...5Feb2011.aspx:

"Decision on 2011 Census
    Embargoed until 10:00am – 25 February 2011

See also:

Downloads

* Decision on 2011 Census – Media Release (PDF, 1 page, 176kb)

Decision on 2011 Census – Media Release

Government Statistician Geoff Bascand and Statistics Minister Maurice Williamson today announced the 8 March 2011 Census will not be held.

Mr Williamson said Mr Bascand has advised him the census could not be successfully completed because of the recent Canterbury earthquake.

The decision has been made after extensive consultation.

“This is not the time to go door to door asking New Zealanders for information when they’re dealing with the aftermath of the earthquake,” Mr Williamson said.

“It’s unthinkable that we would ask this of people. It would be an unfair burden and distraction at a time when they are grieving.”

There has been extensive damage to Statistics New Zealand buildings with significant impacts on census staff.

Mr Bascand said he acknowledges the decision will have consequences for people who use the census data for their work.

“We will now investigate the feasibility of alternative options,” Mr Bascand said.
    Geoff Bascand 25 February 2011
    Government Statistician

END

For media enquiries contact:
    Minister Media contact: Anna Rushworth 04 817 9783 or 021 831 599
    Statistics New Zealand Senior Media Advisor: Colin Marshall 04 931 4630 or 021 285 9191
    Email: communications@stats.govt.nz"

I was supposed to be one of the census form delivery/collection people.. managed to get 3 delivery shifts in before the earthquake, yay.

On the upside, Statistics NZ have confirmed that they're going to give us all our full pay - awesome for me, since my "day-job" may be kaput

The data would have been rubbish after this anyway - too many people are deviating from the sort of pattern a census seeks to record, so planning roads and schools would be unfeasible. The UK survives on having one census every 10 years, I'm sure NZ can too.

I was supposed to be one of the census form delivery/collection people
    Me too! Had done loads of deliveries and felt really rotten going around on Tues evening and Weds when all I could hear was people's TV's on about the Earthquake. The census seemed so insignificant.
    Delighted they have cancelled it - makes perfect sense.. both statistically and emotionally.

Yes, it is good that people are being paid out for their contracts - especially all those down in Cch who will definately need it. Although personally, I just keep feeling guilty about getting "money for nothing" while others are suffering so will hopefully be able to donate more...

Quote Originally Posted by NAP View Post
    Me too! Had done loads of deliveries and felt really rotten going around on Tues evening and Weds when all I could hear was people's TV's on about the Earthquake. The census seemed so insignificant.
    Delighted they have cancelled it - makes perfect sense.. both statistically and emotionally.

Yes, it is good that people are being paid out for their contracts - especially all those down in Cch who will definately need it. Although personally, I just keep feeling guilty about getting "money for nothing" while others are suffering so will hopefully be able to donate more...
    hello fellow censusser!! I know what you mean, and until we got official word from our district supervisors I for one was wondering whether I should consider the post-earthquake hours a "good time" to deliver forms. Wouldn't have actually done it mind you, was just prepping a little rant for any manager who might ask why I was behind on deliveries

Any donations to the appeal obviously gratefully received, but tbh it's your money *hug* A lot of people signed up to deliver/collect because they needed that cash, so certainly if there was a financial reason for taking the job (rather than, "ooh! easy money!" which was more my thought at the time..), that reason probably hasn't vanished.

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedb View Post
    On the upside, Statistics NZ have confirmed that they're going to give us all our full pay - awesome for me, since my "day-job" may be kaput
    Off topic: What is your definition of kaput(t)?
    I'm a bit interested in etymology and the like - and also in differences between NZE and BE usage.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Off topic: What is your definition of kaput(t)?
    I'm a bit interested in etymology and the like - and also in differences between NZE and BE usage.
    In this context, I meant that the job is probably defunct. No longer present and therefore broken as far as I'm concerned. Though I've since seen that I may in fact still be of use to CCC *fingers crossed*

Normally I'd use kaput more for items, like a car that won't start or a computer that will only display the blue screen of death, but kaput popped into my head while typing that post and ran straight out my fingertips.. so it's there too

My usage may be a little wonky anyway - my dad never uses the word, but my mum does... and she's French. Her English is pretty good, but there're a few quirks that wormed their way into my speech that I never seem to notice even now, until someone looks at me funny

Normally I'd use kaput more for items, like a car that won't start or a computer that will only display the blue screen of death
    That would be my BE usage of it, too, although lots of older generation French people I know also use it, in French, for the same meaning.

Didn't it originate from the German word kaputt, meaning broken?

Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by NikT View Post
    Didn't it originate from the German word kaputt, meaning broken?

Nick.
    Yes, and that is why I was asking about its usage. Very often words get a little altered when I they are used in another language.
    Generally in German only items "go kaput"; one very common exemption are relationships.
    So I wondered if there were any differences between BE and NZE in using this word; or if it was "just" personal choice.