Thread: Alternative to Pink Batts Insulation

Default Alternative to Pink Batts Insulation

For those of you that are either building or renovating there is an alternative to Pink Batts, and that is Eco fleece, which is pure NZ wool which is polymer blended to produce a soft fluffy insulation blanket. Then you have Earthwool which is made using recycled glass bottles and sand, this is formaldehyde free and has no oil based chemicals. for more information go to www.ecoinsulation.co.nz they have branches throughout NZ.

Also look here for all ideas on improving homes etc

http://www.smarterhomes.org.nz/

Great alternative. However, I still having a tough time wonder what is NOT so eco-friendly conventional fiberglass batts are? Fiberglass batts is made from recycled glass bottles and lasts a very long time compared to other types of insulation.

Furthermore, correct me if i'm wrong but any form of wool / blend type of insulation still doesn't beat the R-value of conventional fiberglass on the same given area insulated.

If people want to get serious about insulation, they're better off to look at draftproofing their home before trying to find a better product to insulate their home.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    If people want to get serious about insulation, they're better off to look at draftproofing their home before trying to find a better product to insulate their home.
    Super_BQ, you will remember the other thread in which we discussed a similar topic. This draft-proofing does not work here in NZ easily. Most residential houses do have just one wythe not two. That is the main difference - and difficulty - by comparison to Europe or North America.

We meet again ralf

While both you and I agree that in the area of draft-proofing, NZ building techniques fall short compared to EU / N. American building methods. You could say no amount of draft proofing of a house in NZ can beat what is normally done overseas.

So much has been advertised on TV and in the papers of having insulation installed but none address the issue of draftyness. I'm not advocating 'air tight' construction because that would be a recipe for disaster under the NZ building code. But what a person building can achieve in the NZ scope is well worth it in the area of draft proofing - meaning the builder doesn't have to aim for air tightness, just something that will greatly reduce the outside wind from blowing air inside easily. Installing insulation will help to a point. Actually it won't help at all if there are gaps where drafts can easily blow through and into the electrical wall outlets.

In my house, i've gone through the effort of sealing up all the holes in the plywood with acousti-sealant. These holes were caused by other sub contractors that make mistakes, such as the brick layer missed wood with the brick ties or the builder miss wood when nailing the plywood. When you add up all the small holes, it could amount to 1 large big hole in the house. Much like the downlights in the ceiling.

I'm bring this old thread up on a recent article i've come across. Just something for those to think about instead of fibre based insulation.

http://life.nationalpost.com/2012/11...ht-insulation/

The context is based for Canadian homes and how advantageous close cell spray foam can be. Unfortunately, I do not believe in NZ the use of such a product will be permitted (and not to be confused with the Air Foam product we see in NZ where they cut holes in the wall and fill in the cavities). The article explains issues about air drafts and how spray foam can address this problem and thus drastically reducing the energy load it takes to heat and cool a house.