Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time in Christchurch after Quake

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    I see they mention Pegasus in the article and how it's been ok. I've heard it's because all the sections were pile driven to compact the sub surface, I'm sure there's a technical term for it Ralf.
    Actually not, as that what you heard is - by my experience - just not done.

When you drive piles it is not to compact the ground. It is done to get the foundation (piles being part of it) down to a solid level; i.e. the pile is standing on a layer of solid ground even though this layer is maybe 20.0 m below surface.

If a solid layer of ground is too deep than you use friction piles. They are driven too and kept in position because of the (skin) friction of the piles.

Both types of piles can be vibrated or rammed.

BTW: It is good to read that Pegasus's buildings are fine. A fraction of them has been designed by our company.

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    Thanks a lot! Again learned something new.

Went in again today to see my customers I was due to visit the week of the quake, all of them in North Shore and Parklands.

Sheesh those roads are munted but full praise to the workers fixing them up so we can drive down them all be it at 30 k well 20 in my case as the trailer bounces around too much at 30

Grass and weeds have not stopped growing so plenty to do but also lots of Yacking and the one customer showed me where his wall had moved against the soffit, the scratch mark was a full 8 inches !!! Lots of cracks in driveways and some berms unmowable but they'll come right in time.

Went and looked at the Close we used to live in and the pavements, road and driveways all stuffed but houses from outside show no cracking but I'm sure there is inside.

Everywhere you move there is the Dust and all the cars have a grey shimmer from where it's settled on them.

Thankfully The Naked Baker was open so steak and cheese pie for lunch with the usual excellent coffee and whilst waiting for it had a chat with 2 policemen from OZ. They're being looked after really well here and if they'd accepted every offer of food and drink they said they'd be twice the size by the time they head back .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12