Thread: First time in Christchurch after Quake

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default First time in Christchurch after Quake

We ventured in town today for the first time to see a couple of customers who'd I'd not been to for 3 weeks due to quake. I knew that both their gardens were OK but still felt guilty at being out and about.

Anyway's we had to go to Normans Road first to get a bit for my mower, which is off Papanui road, lots of liquefaction and kerb and road damage and then nothing and all is normal ....

Long chat with Hamish as to effects it's going to have on both our business's and then off to NorthShore. Fine travelling via Ring road and then up into Burwood to avoid the 74. fair bit of damage in Burwood and contractors out putting tarmac around lifted sewer manholes.

Turn into Beach Road it's very very bad there and all away long to just after the garage but lots of work being done to clear up and repair pipes.

More long talks with customer of how we all faired. Observed the 2 minute silence holding onto each other for support then off to Beach cafe another customer but this time for lunch. Again it's good to talk and I'll be back there next week to do the lawns.

Off to last customer back in Burwood, saw family offering water and muffins from outside their house and indeed lots of signs for water with a standing hose for you to use.

More chat and exchange of stories etc etc.

Overall feelings and we only saw a very very small part of town, our City has been damaged but we will rebuild it and do a damn fine job of doing it, but we need to get back to some sort of normality get the money flowing again as Hamish said " Give a farmer a dollar and he'll spend five " This city is built on the wealth of our farmers so lets get out there and get this show on the road.
    Last edited by benandclare; 1st March 2011 at 02:57 PM.