Thread: PR to activate or not to activate?

Default PR to activate or not to activate?

Hi all I hope that this makes some sense!!
    Myself and dd - main applicant - are planning a trip to nz in may for a very quick recce. The original idea was that we would activate visa at the same time. But having looking at some posts suddenly realised that as not taking children with us - they would not have their visa activated. So the question is what unexpected consequences mughtcthete be to family having different dates if activation? Would we be not activating our visas on thus trip? We could just about fit in visit before the 6 month deadline for blue stickers? We are hoping to make the move at the end if the year for real!

Thanks

i don't have an answer for you, but i thought it was a good question to bump up..

If you're going to NZ TO LIVE at the end of the year, i.e. you're going to be there most of the time once you arrive, with just the odd holiday abroad, then having different dates for some of your family wouldn't be likely to make a difference.

What the activation date does is start the clock ticking on your first two years of travel conditions (formerly known as RRV), that is, being able to come and go freely to and from NZ. After that, for qualifying for Permanent Residence (IRRV as it used to be called) you need to have been in NZ for 184 or more days out of each of the preceding two years. Otherwise, you need to apply for a variation of travel conditions if you're going to want to travel, and if you've been in NZ a substantial amount of time, you'll probably get another year, by the end of which you would have qualified for the Permanent Residence.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

Thanks - I know it's really complicated - but yes we are planning to be in nz permanently by the end of the year and mainly wondered about the next stage of visas in a couple of more years - didn't want to find that we can leave but the children couldn't!

Not that we expect to want to leave of course!

It wouldn't be a question of your not being able to leave, if you'd been living there consistently since arrival - you'd simply need to get the variation of travel conditions, which would be one extra step before Permanent Residence which your children wouldn't need.