Thread: Help! Looking for Medical Lab Scientist job

Default Help! Looking for Medical Lab Scientist job

Hi all,

I know this was discussed in a separate thread. But, I didn't want to hijack it from OP.

Here's the situation. We just got back from NZ after activating PR. With about four months to go before we move, OH and I are frantically looking for jobs.

OH is a NZ-registered Medical Lab Scientist with about 3+ years FTE experience in microbiology. She's also a QC Microbiologist/Chemist with a pharma manufacturer. OH looked into seek.co, trademe, nzimls and jobs.govt sites and responded to some vacancies, but so far without luck. She also met with a recuiter while in Auckland. Is there anything else she can do now to increase the chances of finding a job? Any suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks.

Taufiq

I don't know anything to help you, but good luck.

Thanks, JandM!

have you thought of working for a university? UOA do not alsways advertise in Seek etc only on their own website it does depend on the recruiter. Pm if you want to know any more

Not sure about Auckland, but ESR (esr.cri.nz) is the one of the main microbiology testing place. Their main microbiology branch is in Wellington though. Also check your District Health Board, they sometimes have advertisement for medical scientists. Seek.co.nz will also has ads for medical scientists. Universities are good too. I don't know of any recruiters, sorry.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, we've checked ESR and OH has applied for a position there. Waiting to hear from them. We're open to the location of any future job. We're following the uni career info and DHB websites as well.

Upon reading this, I am discouraged in pursuing on getting a registration as medical lab technician ( I have a long term goal on registering as lab scientist). So I am thinking laboratory technician jobs are not in demand in New Zealand?

Apart from all the universities and polytechnics, you may also try agcareers, fonterra, and others. While it may not be directly medical, they do need microbiologists sometimes
    See this website for a list of all sorts of jobsites.
    http://www2.careers.govt.nz/index.php?id=2059

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Try contacting ybto. His wife works in a lab at Wellington Hospital. I don't know exactly what she does though! But it may help.