Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indefinite Returning Resident's Visa - How/when to apply?

Default Indefinite Returning Resident's Visa - How/when to apply?

We received PR in July 2009, under the Skilled Migrant category. We've been living in NZ since November 2009.

Like many people, our Returning Resident's Visas say:
    The holder may travel to NZ and on application shall be granted a residence permit. This returning resident's visa is current for two years from the date of issue of the original residence permit.
    My understanding is that in order to be able to reenter NZ freely once those 2 years are up (in either July 2011 or November 2011), we need to apply for an Indefinite Returning Resident's Visa (IRRV).

Questions:

1) When should we apply for the IRRV?
    2) How do we do it (technically)?
    3) Is it a sure thing, or do we need to convince INZ that we deserve it?
    4) Does it help our chances that our 2nd child was born in NZ and has kiwi citizenship?

Thanks!

As far as I know, it is more a formality than anything else- you fill in a form, pay your fee and get the respective sticker in your passport. If you drop it off in Dunedin's Branch, they probably isssue it there and it doesn't take more than a week (I'd suppose- others on here could take their passports with them straight away).
    You don;t need to "convince" Immigration that you deserve it other from the dates- you have to spend the amount of time explained in the rules in the country, at least that's all we did.

You can apply for it exactly two years after you received you first Residence stickers.

I am sure someone will correct me if that's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denalipop View Post
    We received PR in July 2009, under the Skilled Migrant category. We've been living in NZ since November 2009.

Like many people, our Returning Resident's Visas say:

My understanding is that in order to be able to reenter NZ freely once those 2 years are up (in either July 2011 or November 2011), we need to apply for an Indefinite Returning Resident's Visa (IRRV).

Questions:

1) When should we apply for the IRRV?
    2) How do we do it (technically)?
    3) Is it a sure thing, or do we need to convince INZ that we deserve it?
    4) Does it help our chances that our 2nd child was born in NZ and has kiwi citizenship?

Thanks!
    Since 29th November there is a slight change in INZ's regulation; there are several threads on that within this forum.
    IRRV is replaced by Permanent Resident Visa; merely a change of name. See http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/ (RV2.5 How do resident visa holders or former holders qualify for a permanent resident visa?) for details how to obtain it.

Answers:
    1. It doesn't matter; the earliest is two years after grant of Resident Visa and the latest before you leave NZ after these two years and if only for holidays.

2. RV1.10.1 Where to lodge an application: Applications under this chapter may be lodged at any branch of INZ and certain MFAT posts specified in the list of current receiving offices (see Appendix 2). And again Appendix 2: Citizens of any country who are in New Zealand may make an application for any type of visa or permit at any visa and permit branch of INZ. Branches are located in Auckland, Henderson, Manukau, Hamilton, Palmerston North, Wellington, Christchurch, and Dunedin.

3. Again RV2.5: "Upon application principal applicants will be granted a permanent resident visa if...

4. As far as I know - not.

So, it looks like living in NZ for a couple years (with no more than a 1-month trip outside) will do the trick.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by denalipop View Post
    So, it looks like living in NZ for a couple years (with no more than a 1-month trip outside) will do the trick.

Thanks!
    You have to be a resident for two years and for each of those years you have to be physically in NZ for 187 days.

Quote Originally Posted by eassae View Post
    You have to be a resident for two years and for each of those years you have to be physically in NZ for 187 days.
    Almost right...
    A principal applicant has demonstrated a commitment to New Zealand if they have been in New Zealand as a resident for a total of 184 days or more in each of the two 12-month portions of the 24 months immediately preceding the date the date their application for a permanent resident visa was made (ie, in each of the two 12-month portions, a period or periods that amount to 184 days or more).
    Ian

is the date for the 2 years, the date you receive the email saying you're approved or the date in the bluey sticker?

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    is the date for the 2 years, the date you receive the email saying you're approved or the date in the bluey sticker?
    It's the date of activation of the visa.

Ian

Victoria-did u steal my old "great cornholio" avatar?

Still lol!

Quote Originally Posted by baboonworld View Post
    Victoria-did u steal my old "great cornholio" avatar?

Still lol!
    ive always had it but welcome to my bungholio!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast