My partner is here in NZ on a work visa (family stream) as I am studying towards my MA. There is some confusion however. Can she take up employment in a permanent full-time position or simply a fixed term contract? Our ultimate goal is to apply for PR. If she accepts a fixed term contract, could the employer, hypothetically, offer her a permanent position and aid her in the process of aplplying for PR? Please post your experiences or thoughts.