Thread: Taking up a permanent position

Default Taking up a permanent position

My partner is here in NZ on a work visa (family stream) as I am studying towards my MA. There is some confusion however. Can she take up employment in a permanent full-time position or simply a fixed term contract? Our ultimate goal is to apply for PR. If she accepts a fixed term contract, could the employer, hypothetically, offer her a permanent position and aid her in the process of aplplying for PR? Please post your experiences or thoughts.

I THINK (and/but this is something that you should check with INZ to be certain about it - they answer email queries on their 'contact us' page within about four days) that this is down to what the employer feels, more than a question of immigration law.

(This is my reasoning. 'Permanent f/t' doesn't actually mean that either side thinks the arrangement will last indefinitely in real terms, but just till one or the other party ends it in the way agreed by the contract, and national law.

If Mr X gave some random NZ applicant a permanent f/t job, then that applicant in one year's time got a better offer, or decided to retire, Mr X would have to advertise the position again.

If Mr X gave your OH a permanent f/t job, and then in one year's time, her visa ran out and she couldn't renew it, she'd have to tell him so, and leave the country, and he would have to advertise the position again.)

Is this a skilled position? If so, I would think it's a good stepping-stone for your OH to apply for Work To Residence or a Residence visa in her own name http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/, which would help you in your turn later on.

She can take any job on her open visa anyway, so she has the right to start work while the other formalities are sorted out.

I also have a work visa (family stream) and I am able to take up any kind of employment - permanent, fixed term contract, temping etc. Permanent just means that it's not a fixed term contract and is a position the company envisions always needing, like a receptionist for example. Everyone knows that "permanent" doesn't mean indefinite.

Great, thanks for the clarification.