Thread: Time Out away from Christchurch

Arrow Time Out away from Christchurch

Napier and Hastings councils are offering Cantabrians a break in Hawkes Bay.

Councils will fund return air travel.

Register here or phone (06) 834 4114

From NCC website;

People affected by the Canterbury earthquake are being offered a short-term stay in Hawke’s Bay, where they can take a break from the devastation and constant aftershocks that continue to shake the fallen city.

A joint effort by Napier City and Hastings District councils have seen an overwhelming number of Hawke’s Bay people offer their homes, baches, caravans and sleep outs for periods of a week and up to a month and more for those families in need. The Councils will pay for the return airfares for Cantabrians and arrange for host families to pick them up from the Hawke’s Bay airport and take them back to their homes to give them respite from the aftershocks and some much needed time and space to think about the next stages in their lives.

Residents of Christchurch may want to get away now or may wish to consider a home stay in a few weeks time. To express interest in staying with a Hawke’s Bay family or in any one of the generously provided accommodation offerings, registrations may be made;

Online at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GQNNQTJ
    Or by phoning (06) 834 4114
    Guest details will be used to find a suitable host who can accommodate all your requirements including the need to accommodate children and pets, cultural and dietary requirements. Once registered the Councils’ will endeavour to find the best accommodation to suit the needs of potential guests and make the necessary flight arrangements.
    Cantabrians requiring emergency housing on an extended or permanent basis are advised to contact Housing New Zealand Corporation.

Barbara Arnott
    MAYOR OF NAPIER

Lawrence Yule
    MAYOR OF HASTINGS
    Please pass this on.
    Maybe see some of you soon.

Nick..

Councils will fund return air travel.
    Back in Canada, a very long time ago, the BC gov't had a problem of welfare / dole residents. The neighbouring province Alberta had an open campaign to send those who were on the dole or on welfare a free ride to neighbouring province BC based on the condition that they would stay in BC. The Albertan gov't thought it was a great idea to remove this excess off from their economy and clean their balance sheet even more. Several years later, the province of Alberta had wiped their provincial debt off - a 1st time in Canadian history.

What happened to BC? Well it caused such a burden on the gov'ts books that parliament quickly passed law that no person migrating to BC would be eligible for welfare / dole payments unless they stay in the province for a minimum of 60 days. Previously (like in other provinces), a Canadian could migrate to any province and apply for welfare support immediately.

Those that had skills and employment need not apply. As they naturally moved from BC to Alberta because of the higher pay and lower taxes.

Sorry cant see why you've posted that SBQ.

It's two totally different scenarios.

One, an amazing offer of kindness from Napier and Hastings council and their residents.

Two, political manoeuvrings to massage the figures and rid themselves of debt

That is an amazing, extremely kind offer!

I am with you on that, BenandClare- I don't quite get the meaning of BQ's post

My apologies for my very vague comparison. Also, it was not to blanket example those who are on winz or family assistance in Chch are the only ones to leave by taking up that offer.

I'm all for providing help for those that are displaced by the earthquake. But at the same time, i'm not a fan of offering 'free rides' out of Chch without conditions. What Chch needs is support to recover and rebuild - not a campaign to encourage more and more people to leave. Of course in the ideal example, the free ride is to offer those who have lost their job, house, car and got no where to go. But in reality, you will find a fair % would take up on the offer for a free vacation and really don't need it otherwise.

I was not impressed watching TV - 60 Minutes few days ago of a lady that just fled right out of Chch in panic. She documented her trip (mostly her emotions) and came back 5 days later to revisit downtown. I could not make up the intent of the 60 Minutes segment other than to portray a person that was in major fright. Mayor Bob Parker repeatedly said in Chch, "there's lots of food, supply of petro isn't a problem, etc.." but people still over reacted and 1 hour+ queues at the petro station still amounted.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    I'm all for providing help for those that are displaced by the earthquake. But at the same time, i'm not a fan of offering 'free rides' out of Chch without conditions. What Chch needs is support to recover and rebuild - not a campaign to encourage more and more people to leave. Of course in the ideal example, the free ride is to offer those who have lost their job, house, car and got no where to go. But in reality, you will find a fair % would take up on the offer for a free vacation and really don't need it otherwise.

I was not impressed watching TV - 60 Minutes few days ago of a lady that just fled right out of Chch in panic. She documented her trip (mostly her emotions) and came back 5 days later to revisit downtown. I could not make up the intent of the 60 Minutes segment other than to portray a person that was in major fright. Mayor Bob Parker repeatedly said in Chch, "there's lots of food, supply of petro isn't a problem, etc.." but people still over reacted and 1 hour+ queues at the petro station still amounted.
    Um - the offer appears to be genuinely letting folk know that they can have a break if they need one. Yep - some folk will take the pi$$ but unless you start means-testing you won't find out. I can just see how THAT would work - exactly what % damage does your house need to have or how depressed or anxious do you need to be on a clinical scale before you get entitled to the offer? Frankly, that's the last thing people in shock and grieving for the loss of their family, friends, city, local amenities, sense of place etc need.

Of course people "over reacted" they were bloody terrified. Just cos you don't appear to be in such a fright for your life doesn't mean that you can go round being critical of folk who react differently. Sometimes, if you haven't got anything good to say it's best to keep quiet. And I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but your post has rubbed me up quite the wrong way and I don't even live in a quake zone.

P