Thread: Waist measurement - Again

Default Waist measurement - Again

Hi

I know this has been talked about previously but regarding the waist requirements.

My wife will not be anywhere close to 88cm by the time of our meds. She is going to be applying for a partner visa and I will be applying under the essential skills as I have a job offer.

She is otherwise in good health and has no history of poor health.

My question is - Is the waist measurement and issue for these visas??
    As ideally we would like to go for a couple of years and then apply for residence ( Plenty time to lose the weight ! )

BTW The meds are costing 800 pounds

Thanks

The medicals are the same for all the visas, so she is probably going to be referred to the MA, who will ask for whatever s/he thinks appropriate in the way of more tests and an opinion from your GP on your wife's general health. Not to panic you, but here's a thread about someone else's wife's BMI and waist measurement saga. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26174 There is good advice there in the second post, about starting a fitness regime SOON, so that if referred, by the time there is a request from an MA, you would already be able to show evidence from a doctor and/or an exercise class that she has taken some action and made some progress.

Here's the section from the INZ handbook for medical examiners that relates to this. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...lExaminers.pdf

Weight, height, BMI and waist circumference
    The medical examiner is expected to use metric units throughout. Measurements given in other
    units may result in Immigration New Zealand not accepting the medical certificate.
    Adults and children should be weighed standing, barefoot or in stockings/socks and wearing
    lightweight clothing. Infants should be barefoot and weighed in undergarments. Weight is to be
    measured in kilograms, except for infants where weight should be noted to the nearest 0.1kg.
    Height is measured standing in all persons over the age of 24 months. Use a stadiometer fixed
    to the wall. Measurement to the nearest centimetre or better is required. The measurement of
    children less than 24 months may be of height or of length. If length was measured because the
    child was unable to stand, this should be indicated, and the reason for this noted.
    The medical examiner is expected to calculate the BMI for all applicants aged 18 years and older.
    Measure the waist circumference of all applicants 18 years of age. With a tape measure, comfortably
    measure the shortest circumference that is below the rib cage and above the umbilicus.
    The medical examiner is to request fasting glucose and fasting lipids where BMI >35 or when
    the waist circumference in applicants 18 years or over is greater than the following limits1:
    • men: ≥ 102cm, except Asian/Indian men: ≥ 90cm
    • women: ≥ 88cm, except Asian/Indian women: ≥ 80cm.
    Where a patient may be in a higher risk category, with fasting bloods having been requested, the
    applicant’s attitude to their condition should be explored. Please note whether they recognise a
    problem exists, whether they are planning any changes to improve the situation, have they made
    any changes, what success, if any, have they had etc, is all relevant information.

Thanks for the info - Busy excersing and dieting

This waist measurement thing is driving me NUTS. I am 86-89cm depending on the day. It is really stressing me - I've an 8mth old baby who is my FIFTH child and I know that diet and exercise are a struggle for everybody but you try not eating sugar and carbs when you've had four hours sleep and you are exhausted and breastfeeding is playing havoc with your blood sugar levels! And exercise - would love to, my day is jammed with other people's needs from 5 30 in the morning til 9 30 at might and I'm up with the baby 3 or 4 times during the night.

Thank you for reading my rant. All donations for liposuction gratefully received.

Quote Originally Posted by ianrobbo View Post
    Thanks for the info - Busy excersing and dieting

Wow - with all that going on I am surprised you are not as thin as a stick

Well, you know, if you cut me I bleed chocolate.
    Quote Originally Posted by ianrobbo View Post
    Wow - with all that going on I am surprised you are not as thin as a stick

Lol. Me with baby no. 3 @ 4mths, breastfeeding like an all night buffet, working full time & no sleep I feel your pain. Cut me & I bleed coffee, coke or basically any form u can get caffeine!!!