Thread: Are landlords really THAT against you having a cat?

Default Are landlords really THAT against you having a cat?

Hello,

I've been looking at a lot of rental ads lately and I've noticed that 90 percent of them say "no smokers or pets." I have one cat and letting him go is not an option. I'm wondering what the chances of finding a good place that accepts an animal might be. I would like to have a place with roommates if possible, but am also open to having my own place as well.

Thanks!

I was in the same situation a few weeks ago (2 cats), a few agents were very unhelpful and refused to even talk about pets. Going direct to the landlord was our best option, even when they said no pets, they seemed to want to meet you in person first and if you seemed 'normal' then pets were ok. Just offering to pay a larger bond and clean carpets on moving, seemed to open more doors.

You will find somewhere eventually, we ended up loosing what we thought was an ideal rental at first and are now in a beautiful house in a much better location for less money.

We've been here a couple of years and have moved fairly regularly. The first two times we were looking cats were no problem. But the last time, around May last year was much harder. We were rejected by one place cos of our cat in spite of having good references. And there is a lot of pressure on rentals in Auckland at the moment with landlords having a pick of tenants. So it does make sense for them to take pet free people over those with animals.

But an ad saying no pets often doesn't mean that. It is worth viewing, then asking. A lot of the time they mean no dogs.

Direct to landlords is definitely the best way - rental agents are 90% unhelpful *. I've rented a number of houses in NZ with my black lab and they all said no pets on the ads!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Bump View Post
    Direct to landlords is definitely the best way - rental agents are 90% unhelpful *. I've rented a number of houses in NZ with my black lab and they all said no pets on the ads!
    Is that Leicestershire slang for rental agents over here in NZ?

Also from Leicestershire and would have to agree with you Mister Bump!

We have two cats and found face to face meeting with the landlord ended in no problems with the 2 ginger boys!

hello ybto, may i message you about a question regarding biomedical science. my email is [edited]username rands. i jusr recently joined. thanks.

rands.
    Last edited by JandM; 23rd October 2012 at 08:46 AM. Reason: No personal information allowed in postings. PM facility will be available when you have made 5 posts.

rands, it looks as though you may be out of luck - ybto hasn't posted on the forum since the post above, last year.