Thread: FBI question!

Default FBI question!

We are trying to move to NZ from the UK as my OH has a job offer (yippie!). As I'm a US citizen, I have to have an FBI police check, which I sent off a few weeks ago. I couldn't figure out how to put a pre-paid envelope in, so I attached some of those postage equivalents sheets to an envelope (upon advice of the post office), and they said that those sheets could be exchanged for US postage.

As we are concerned about the 12 week wait for the FBI police check, we are thinking of sending of another set of fingerprints. What did other people do for the pre-paid envelope to go back to the UK? I called FedEx and they said that they couldn't help me.

Thank you!

Just checking but as a US citizen you don't automatically need an FBI check - only if you have lived in the US for more than 12 months in the last 10 years.

Can't help on the postage question I'd afraid.

Hello and welcome.

The website is currently down, so I can't check that I'm right on this, but I thought you needed a check for any country you're a resident/citizen of as well as any country that you've lived in for more than 12 months in the last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by mptopham View Post
    Just checking but as a US citizen you don't automatically need an FBI check - only if you have lived in the US for more than 12 months in the last 10 years.
    True, but as a French citizen who'd never lived there I found it easier to get the police check rather than spend however long it would take to convince INZ that I really didn't need it.

I'm pretty sure there's some wording on the website stating that you need a police check for every country you're a citizen of PLUS anywhere you've lived for more than 12 months in the last 10 years

When I applied for my visa about 18months ago I DID need an FBI police certificate even though I hadn't lived in the US since I was 21. I am an American citizen but I moved to the UK when I was 21 which meant I needed the FBI police check and a UK police certificate.
    Can you get an account set up with Fed Ex? A friend of mine who owned her own business very kindly set up an account with Fed Ex so that I could send my fingerprints to the FBI from her office in London. Good luck and congrats on your OH's job offer!

It was awhile back, but I am pretty sure we put in a fedex shipping label with our credit card info and tick the box (paid by recipient, or something like that).

I'm just adding this in case anyone has the same question. After 6 weeks, we got the FBI clearance (yay!). They ended up posting it back to us in their own envelope, and they returned our self-addressed envelope along with the postage coupons we sent (all unused). So THANK YOU FBI!

Off to finish our application now!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody