Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job w/o permit

Default Job w/o permit

Hi guys,

Do you have an idea about what are the chances to get a job offer w/o the PR (and/or an sponsorship).

I'm a Software Developer with 6 years experience.

Regards,
    Homero

Hard to say, but I did it. check out seek.co.nz. and start applying. also trademe.co.nz has job listings.

I did it too. I guess they are going to really need your skills and really like you and then they will probably wait for you to get it. Also, if you get an offer, go for a work visa at the same time as the residency. That is what immigration suggested I need to do (actually add the work visa to my residency app request) so they processed both at the same time. Work visa was issued once I gave them all the docs but the residency took another 3 months or so. Good luck!

I'm in the same boat and haven't had any luck for the last couple of months. I had a couple of recruiters contact me and then never email me back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Edwards View Post
    I did it too. I guess they are going to really need your skills and really like you and then they will probably wait for you to get it. Also, if you get an offer, go for a work visa at the same time as the residency. That is what immigration suggested I need to do (actually add the work visa to my residency app request) so they processed both at the same time. Work visa was issued once I gave them all the docs but the residency took another 3 months or so. Good luck!
    Hi Bruce,

Sorry a bit confused by reading your comment.
    I always thought that if one has Residency, he is by default authorized to work in any part of Nz?

Thanks,
    Nz_Immi

He got the job offer.

He applied for Residency, and INZ suggested he apply for a Work Visa at the same time.

The Work Visa arrived quite quickly, so he was legally able to start working.

Three months after that, the formalities for Residence were also completed.

ZombieDraxx Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Homero Damico View Post
    Hi guys,

Do you have an idea about what are the chances to get a job offer w/o the PR (and/or an sponsorship).

I'm a Software Developer with 6 years experience.

Regards,
    Homero
    Homero,

I can say I'm a similar boat as you and find that applying directly to companies without a legal right to work in NZ will get you blown off %90 of the time.

You'll have much better success if you apply for a WHV (Working Holiday Visa) which if your in the US or UK gets approved in 2 -14 business days gives you the right to take employment as long as it isn't permanent. (I'm in the US and got approved in 2 business days)

It at least shows you're more serious about migrating and worst case you can just take a contract position for a year or less and work on getting a job offer while in NZ which is much more likely to happen since you will already be in NZ and can meet face to face with employers.

I've recently taken up with a recruiter (AbsoluteIT) to try and secure a job offer or a 12 month fixed term contract as I want to be in NZ by the end of June with or without a permanent job offer.

The OP is in Brazil, so the system is rather different for him. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../brazilwhs.htm

People have managed by going in on a visitor's visa, secured a job offer, then applied for a work visa. Obviously this is a longer drawn out process, but if you aren't eligible for a WHV, it's about all there is.

In most cases, it is pretty pointless apply for jobs or signing up with agencies, unless you are actually here in NZ. Why would employers waste valuable time, offering someone a job that is currently based many thousands of km's away? Who may or may not get on a plane and come over?

You can take a chance and come over on a visitors visa, register with agencies, apply for jobs. Actually being able to interview in person will get you through the front door.

Secure a job offer and you can apply for a work permit, valid for 1-3 years.

I did this in 2004 when we arrived and had four job offer within a month. Of course things in the economy have changed since then! So think carefully!

I have been to seek.co.nz and see that under every job they have the condition that one must be a resident of the area to apply for the position. Does anyone know if there are also jobs there that are willing to sponsor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast