Thread: My question regards traveling internationally for New Zealanders.

Default My question regards traveling internationally for New Zealanders.

First off hello to everyone,

I’m in the long process of moving to New Zealand from the states at the end of Nov. My wife and I travel as often as we can. We have been blessed in how things work themselves out sometimes.

For us in the states flying to New Zealand, Australia, Japan, and other Asian countries is expensive. I can fly and plan a trip to Europe for half the price. I’ve tried to look for some websites to see deals for people living in New Zealand, and wanting to travel internationally. I have found a few things, but not much. Mostly everything I have found is to travel to New Zealand and what to do there.

In my mind once I live in New Zealand I will be closer to Asia and such; therefore it will be cheaper. RIGHT? ---- Yes? no? may be so. It sounds good in theory, but I can’t prove it. I really hope so because that would be such a big perk to live in NZ and be able to travel that side of the world cheaper than it would from the States.

So if someone could inform me on some sites that local New Zealanders look at when they travel or because it’s a small Island of paradise it’s expensive to travel no matter if you are living there or not.
    Last edited by -w-; 5th March 2011 at 01:11 PM.

Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by -w- View Post
    So if someone could inform me on some sites that local New Zealanders look at when they travel
    There are lots of NZ travel sites; for starters, try the airlines' NZ sites e.g. http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/; Flight Centre is a big travel agent chain http://www.flightcentre.co.nz/ , also we've used Expedia's local site http://www.expedia.co.nz/

or because it’s a small Island of paradise it’s expensive to travel no matter if you are living there or not.
    Unfortunately, yes.

We use Houseoftravel.co.nz But generally travel is expensive. Lots of kiwi's don't travel outside of NZ and a trip to Oz is considered a big deal. We're exploring the Pacific which is rather nice. Airasia also fly to Christchurch and hopefully will start to Auckland at some point.

bummer.... Is it expensive to travel around domestically within NZ? Say from the North Island to the South?

Live in the north Island and travel to the South to ski, camp, hike, and etc...

Do kiwi's rent holiday homes for a week, or a weekend all around New Zealand; to explore it.

Thanks

So if someone could inform me on some sites that local New Zealanders look at when they travel or because it’s a small Island of paradise it’s expensive to travel no matter if you are living there or not.
    Hello and welcome,
    just a couple of points - not wanting to sound all negative - but New Zealand is still a very long way from anywhere, for example, Asia. Flights will be expensive, simply because it takes a long time to get there. Even just going to Australia takes a few hours by plane. It takes roughly as long to get to Hong Kong, Singapore etc from NZ as it does to get to the same destinations from London.

If you are looking for prices of holiday homes etc, try googling for sites to book a "bach", the New Zealand name for a holiday home/cottage.

Also, if you are coming to New Zealand, I can't stress enough that it is not paradise. A great place to live, yes, and for some people coming from particular places, it makes a very pleasant and safe change with lots of interesting opportunities. But, paradise, no.

Best wishes with your preparations.

Have a look at Airnewzealands Grab a seat for cheap last minute domestic flights. I find travel within New Zealand quite expensive for example a trip from Wellington to South island by ferry can be up to $550 with a car, we haven't had much chance to travel around yet due to young children but there is so much to see here that you might not want to leave the country to go away, for me it's when winter comes, I find it hard that we can't nip across to Europe for a bit of sun, we tried a trip to Oz but wasn't that impressed & was happy to get back to Wellington again

Is it expensive to travel around domestically within NZ? Say from the North Island to the South?
    It depends what you consider expensive, and that will vary with what a family's income and expenses are. Here's one place to check out internal flights, and notice their 'Last Minute' and 'Deals' options - sometimes there are seats available for stupidly little money. http://www.expedia.co.nz/cheap-flights/domestic.aspx We recently did a flight from Christchurch to Auckland for way less money than would have bought the fuel to drive, then we'd've had to pay for the ferry on top of that. Seeing what Georgebulldog just wrote, I would add, I think there are times when it's cheaper to fly to wherever you're staying first and get a hire car when you're there, rather than take your own vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Seeing what Georgebulldog just wrote, I would add, I think there are times when it's cheaper to fly to wherever you're staying first and get a hire car when you're there, rather than take your own vehicle.
    That would be the case if you didn't have children to consider, Air NZ now charge full fare for domestic flights for children & this with car hire & child seat hire doesn't work out well, unless you get the silly fares that you can get sometimes, just need to be a bit more organised than I am