Thread: Yes, Another can I bring my car thread US --> NZ

Default Yes, Another can I bring my car thread US --> NZ

Hello,

I’m looking more for a straight forward answer.

I have been doing as much research as I can for moving to New Zealand. Not as much as I would like in regards to taking my (left sided driver) car from the States to NZ. What I have seen can be confusing or annoying, which has made me put it off.

What I have seen:
    - There is a list of cars that can be brought into NZ.
    - The list is vague. As long the car is under a certain weight, age, etc.
    - The car must be converted to a right sided driver car.?.?
    - Something about it being alright as long as I use it for personal use for a curtain period of time.
    - Then just resultantly I was reading a thread about this, and it was talking about starting last April you can’t bring any LHD cars to NZ unless they are collectible cars.

Most of the threads tell people to look at curtain links that people posted, and to look at the NZ immigration website’s rules.

I’m looking for anyone from the states that was able to bring their car to NZ, and why they made that decision.

This step in my process will take a lot of planning and deciding. Hey, but if it is easy enough as; no I can’t bring my car. Then that makes it easier on the decision part.

I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty paid off and a 2008 SMART car that I have payments on. The only reason to buy a new car is to not have payments later in life. This makes my Jeep worth more to me than some one else. If I have to sell both of them, that’s fine because one must make sacrifices to live in Paradise. RIGHT?

You won't find help on Immigration NZ's website for this question. Don't forget, NZ has government departments for different aspects of life, and you need to look at the appropriate one for up-to-date law. Here's the NZ Transport Agency page for your query, and from what vehicles you've said you've got, the answer is no. http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/fa...e-vehicle.html

The most direct answer I can give you is:

Unless your car is a classic or show item (not meant to be driven regularly), it's not worth importing it.

I did some research before I made the move 3 years ago and neither of my vehicles (fully paid off near new Honda and older Acura) were worth the time, cost, and trouble of importing. After arriving I realized the road situation is so much different that driving a left-hand car is impractical. A lot of round abouts here are meant to be seen from the right driver's side, many times incoming traffic will be completely blind to the left passenger. All moves will cost money, so best add your US cars to that cost.

Note that the rules changed last year, so beyond the above then its not even possible, let alone impractical, to import those LDH vehicles.

If you've read anything that's confused you that may be due to the changes last year and you not realising it referred to the old rules, but as above, sell and plan on replacing once you get here.