Thread: Hamilton

Default Hamilton

When we eventually get over to NZ for good, we've been considering living in Hamilton. One of my middle school friends lives there currently.

I only have a few concerns. It's very scary and overwhelming trying to figure out the bad areas from the good areas anywhere, especially in a new country. I don't even know if we were there driving around if a bad area would look the same to us as it would if it were in the US.

So, can anyone assist us in which areas to stay away from, which areas are nice, etc.? This would not only be an issue in regards to crime safety but areas that aren't full of noisy college students and has fairly easy access to mass transit. We are probably going to be looking to spend no more than $350-$375 per week; although, that's an estimate since we have no idea how much we would make there yet.

We definitely like the sound of the climate in the north island as well. We have another friend in Wellington; but, it's a bit too close to earthquake zones for our liking and it was suggested that we may not be comfortable with the safety in Auckland.

Thanks for any help you can give us!

What about Tauranga? Climate is heaps nicer than HAmilton and it's coastal.

Quote Originally Posted by interiordesignr View Post

suggested that we may not be comfortable with the safety in Auckland.
    I wonder what they mean by that? Auckland is a vast area and does not just consist of the 'city'. I feel extremely safe where I live

Can't help with Hamilton though, only been there once for a craft fair.

Hamilton is nice place . U get the facilities of bigger cities and its not as big or populated like Auckland. About 1 hr 30 min away from Auckland. If u wanna stay here then Hilcrest and Hamilton East r near to uni so u can expect students over there. The best area would be in city new palmerston st. Or u can go for new sburbs with good construction and nice neighbourhood in hungtington, flagstaf and rotutuna which have good housing and not much noise in most of the areas.
    Hope that helps u.

Quote Originally Posted by YouMeAndThree View Post
    I wonder what they mean by that? Auckland is a vast area and does not just consist of the 'city'. I feel extremely safe where I live

Can't help with Hamilton though, only been there once for a craft fair.
    Thanks everyone for the information. I think they just meant that I should expect more crime since it is a large city, just like anywhere else in the world. I don't think they meant that all of Auckland would be unsafe. You probably have to understand my background as well. We lived in the capital of Indiana and were robbed at gunpoint inside our home. As such, we are probably a bit overly sensitive about safety in general. Being afraid in your own home (we owned at the time) is about the worst feeling.

How does Tauranga look as far as jobs? We are certainly open to other areas as long as they are on the north island.

Even as an older person, I haven't been anywhere in Auckland that I felt unsafe. If eventually, job offers take you there, don't dismiss it.

If Hamilton floats your boat, but wish to base yourselves outside the City, then look towards the surrounding area's. You have Te Awamutu, Cambridge, Morrinsville, Matamata. These are a 30 min drive from Hamilton, but if you are wanting to stay within the Ham area, then Rototuna, Huntington, St Andrews and Flagstaff to name a few are the better area's. Places to stay clear of are Nawton, Dinsdale(parts of), Fairview Downs etc. It has been mentioned that Ham East does have a big student pop, but Ham East is quite a vast area, and there are parts which aren't student inhabited.

And Hillcrest.

Don't know how big a place you'll need, but finding a 3BR+ rental in the better areas (mentioned by others above) might be a bit of a stretch within the budget you've mentioned.

During the workweek, I'm staying in a furnished rental in Hamilton East very close to the University. It gets a bit loud on the weekends, but since I'm from NYC I don't find it particularly objectionable.

Even in the "bad" areas mentioned above, BTW, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to walk around alone at night. I guess it's all perspective, but for me there are the "bad neighborhoods" that I knew back in the US, and what pass for "bad neighborhoods" in NZ. Simply no comparison.

Oh, and I second Kim39 regarding surrounding towns. Most of my work colleagues don't actually live in Hamilton -- Cambridge, Te Awamutu, and Raglan are popular (although Raglan is a +40-minute drive).
    Last edited by sks; 7th March 2011 at 03:42 PM.