Thread: Franklin District - Waiuku

Default Franklin District - Waiuku

Hi There,

We are moving from Melbourne to Auckland in late April and as we currently live semi rural we are looking at the same type of places to live. Waiuku is of interest to us as it looks rural, close to the sea and commutable to Manakau where I will be working. If anyway can help with info on the following i'd appreciate it.

* How far is the commute to Manakau on a good day / bad day?
    * What are the primary schools like?
    * Is it a good family area?
    * What's the fishing like close by?

Any other info/opinions of this area would be great to hear.

Thanks,
    TheRyans.

I was looking at houses on the internet and I thought they looked quite reasonable in this area. I spoke to my mum on the Phone, who lives in Papakura which is not far away, and she said 'what you mean crime central'. LOL. I don't know if it is as bad as she says, but perhaps get several opinions.

I imagine the commute is pretty easy to Manukau. Rent first and see how you feel. She may have overstated it.

We live very rural, between Kingseat, Waiau Pa and Patumahoe. DH works in Wiri and takes less than 30 minutes to get in, add another 10 minutes for Waiuku. I've never heard of Waiuku being called crime central.

I don't know what the Waiuku primary schools are like, but the 2 near us have good reputations.

Clarks Beach is our closest beach, but the whole of the Awhitu Peninsular is not far - loads of good fishing by all accounts. And if you crave the city, it's nearby too so you don't feel cut off from civilisation.

We are moving to the Waiuku area in July - we have rented a little furnished cottage for two months (until our container arrives). The cottage is just outside Pukekohe. We are planning on sending our girls to Waiuku College (that is, unless we hear good reason not to!!).

I will be teaching at ACG Strathallan (in Karaka). It is a long term relieving position that may become permanent next year. In the event I do get a permanent job next year, we will likely enroll our girls at ACG next year also.

I love the look of Waiuku as we like the idea of being rural while not being too far from Auckland for family, friends and convenience. I'll be reading feedback on this thread with interest :-)

Amy.

I'll be interested to hear how people get on. I will be living in Papakura from April, and am interested in Franklin when I eventually buy in a year or two. Mum says the shopping at Pukekohe is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by johampton View Post
    Mum says the shopping at Pukekohe is pretty good.
    Getting better - they have approval for a cinema , but not sure on it's progress so far. I do virtually all my shopping in Pooky and rarely have to go to Manukau/Botany/Sylvia Park. I would have thought Papakura is bigger on the shopping front than Pukekohe though.

Quote Originally Posted by YouMeAndThree View Post
    I would have thought Papakura is bigger on the shopping front than Pukekohe though.
    I think it is but maybe she is talking about the sorts of shops she particularly likes - I intend to check it out and compare.

Hi. Until you mentioned Manukau, I was going to say Dairy Flat, Silverdale, rural Albany, Paremoremo, Riverhead etc... All close to the beach, and close to civilisation (haha) with good schools nearby.

However, commuting to Manukau would be ridiculous. So I guess you'll be wanting somewhere like Drury, Bombay, even Pukekohe.

We are looking at high schools in or near Waiuku or Pukekohe. It looks like Pukekohe HS has had a bit of a sketchy ERO history - does anyone in the area have any suggestions or information about local high schools in the area?
    Thanks,
    Amy.