Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Update on Homophobia and Racism

Quote Originally Posted by taibert View Post
    How much harder is it to get a job if you're gay?
    I can't speak for all companies in NZ but it wasn't hard at all in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by taibert View Post
    How much harder is it to get a job if you're gay?
    Well it's not normally the first thing you say at an interview, so I expect it to have little influence on getting the job.

Whether you are out at work really does depend on the environment and yourself. Personally, I cannot imagine ever being at a workplace and not out, but I know people here who prefer not to be, even at the same workplace as mine. So the answer, of course, is the ever helpful 'it depends'.

Daniela

I recently walked out of a meeting at work due to a racist comment! Of course everyone else thought I had over reacted. NOT

Quote Originally Posted by mooncalf View Post
    I recently walked out of a meeting at work due to a racist comment! Of course everyone else thought I had over reacted. NOT
    Was this comment towards you personally, towards another person known to the people of the meeting or one in general.
    What was the 'racial' structure of this group - in relation to the addressee of the comment?
    Is there a difference in evaluation of this situation 'then' and 'now' by you and the other attendees?

Default Have the same question

Indianaman,

We are in the process of moving from Rehoboth Beach, Delaware to Queenstown NZ (from one resort town to another). The dog is the only thing that has kept us from moving tomorrow (he is in the process of getting his vaccinations).

I would be interested if anyone has thoughts / views on the gay life in Queenstown, and the level of tolerance.

Thanks,

Lewesdog

Quote Originally Posted by lewesdog View Post
    ...I would be interested if anyone has thoughts / views on the gay life in Queenstown, and the level of tolerance...
    One of my Hamilton flatmates is from Queenstown; I'll get his impressions tonight.

Thumbs up On a lighter note

On a lighter note: http://www.odt.co.nz/your-town/wanak...te-wanaka-cafe about 'installing a rainbow-coloured jacket on a downpipe outside a Helwick St cafe owned by gay businessmen Paul Tregea and Chris Hadfield' in Wanaka.

With all the comments on day to day life in NZ on how many have experience some sort of racism, there has been some recent debate about the sale of NZ assets to foreigners that brings the racism issue to light.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6368...ng-New-Zealand

Coming from the race relations minister,

Ad Feedback

''You can't help but think that there is an element in the opposition that has been about that [racism]. Are people opposed to foreigners buying farms or are they opposed to Chinese buying farms and if it is the latter then they need to have a think about that.''

Land Information Minister Maurice Williamson has called the negative reaction to the Crafar farms xenophobic and racist.

Williamson said that when Canadians, Americans, Germans and Swiss bought farmland there had not been a ''mutter or a murmur''.

''As soon as the word Chinese was mentioned, we are opposed to it. I have to say that is bordering more on racism than xenophobia.''

Here some figures proving that point re land sales to foreigners: http://i.stuff.co.nz/sunday-star-tim...ng-New-Zealand

'Fears that China is gobbling up New Zealand land are misplaced, official figures show.

Americans, Canadians and even Liechtensteinians are buying far more land.

Figures released by the Overseas Investment Office show that of the 872,313 hectares of gross land sold to foreign interests over the past five years, only 223ha were sold to Chinese.

...'

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678