Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time in Christchurch after Quake

Default First time in Christchurch after Quake

We ventured in town today for the first time to see a couple of customers who'd I'd not been to for 3 weeks due to quake. I knew that both their gardens were OK but still felt guilty at being out and about.

Anyway's we had to go to Normans Road first to get a bit for my mower, which is off Papanui road, lots of liquefaction and kerb and road damage and then nothing and all is normal ....

Long chat with Hamish as to effects it's going to have on both our business's and then off to NorthShore. Fine travelling via Ring road and then up into Burwood to avoid the 74. fair bit of damage in Burwood and contractors out putting tarmac around lifted sewer manholes.

Turn into Beach Road it's very very bad there and all away long to just after the garage but lots of work being done to clear up and repair pipes.

More long talks with customer of how we all faired. Observed the 2 minute silence holding onto each other for support then off to Beach cafe another customer but this time for lunch. Again it's good to talk and I'll be back there next week to do the lawns.

Off to last customer back in Burwood, saw family offering water and muffins from outside their house and indeed lots of signs for water with a standing hose for you to use.

More chat and exchange of stories etc etc.

Overall feelings and we only saw a very very small part of town, our City has been damaged but we will rebuild it and do a damn fine job of doing it, but we need to get back to some sort of normality get the money flowing again as Hamish said " Give a farmer a dollar and he'll spend five " This city is built on the wealth of our farmers so lets get out there and get this show on the road.
    Last edited by benandclare; 1st March 2011 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    Overall feelings and we only saw a very very small part of town, our City has been damaged
    Hard reading

we will rebuild it [sic our city] and do a damn fine job of doing it...
    Rebuilding yes but how - and even where(!) - need to be discussed.
    What amount of money is available e.g., what level of safety is "sensible"; should some parts be "abandoned" because of ongoing liquefaction or cliff deterioration?

The views seemed to be the City will grow out towards the West and in years to come Hornby will join up with Rolleston . The badly affected areas will be left and should be turned into reserves.

There is certainly going to be long debates on this subject

I find the most poignant things on the news at the moment when they focus on a family or a small community and how their houses have been damaged and how they are living at the moment. The empty streets in the worst hit areas are really sad.

Really would like to come down and help even if for only 3-4 days. I served in the RN and was trained (and helped) in disaster relief and with not working at the moment would be able to do it, even paying my own fares from Auckland. Only thing is, logistics down there if I came and problems being faced. I am prob like many who want to help and I would gather best just helping in a finacial way I suppose.

I have seen devastation like this first hand, and sometimes worse with it being man made, and really do feel for you all in ChCh. Thoughts and prayers with you all.

kejktfc

What about contacting St John or Red Cross and offering your experience?!

nice post ben. thinking of y'all

It is a shock this time Ben. I saw a lot last Tuesday as I travelled home to rupture zone central. But this time, the destruction caused is really shocking. I know that I will be in tears when I head for the CBD when its allowed. Sumner and Redcliffs are shocking, tonight went past a row of shops in Merivale, wall had fallen away and you could see straight into the upper floors....

Travelling from Sumner to Mairehau last Wed evening was horrific..the liquefaction, puddles, holes and falling walls and destroyed buildings...yet in the west there is virtually no visible damage this time...

The views seemed to be the City will grow out towards the West and in years to come Hornby will join up with Rolleston . The badly affected areas will be left and should be turned into reserves.

There is certainly going to be long debates on this subject
    http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/1...s-christchurch reads amongst others:
    "The council would also have to take the hard decision not to allow rebuilding in areas with the worst liquefaction and one or two suburbs would have to be relocated."

I see they mention Pegasus in the article and how it's been ok. I've heard it's because all the sections were pile driven to compact the sub surface, I'm sure there's a technical term for it Ralf.

This also borne out by a Kaiapoi resident who i was talking to the other day in that there is an old tip which has now been built on and those houses were fine but across the street houses munted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast