Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Inquiry/Feeler

Default General Inquiry/Feeler

I want to sincerely preface this post by saying I am in no way attempting to start an argument or to cause any unpleasantness within the forum. Please remember that the whole reason I have joined the forum is to find out as much information as possible about life in NZ as packing up and moving my husband and myself across the planet is a big decision and I'm trying to ensure that I cover every base.

Is there any truth at all to the horrid stories posted on the expatexposed? I know there has been discussion about this site previously. Just looking for a more updated view.

Thanks for your honest and candid responses.

Cheers!

Horrid stories? About what? And what is expatexposed?

ETA: Now I know what you are talking about. Hmmm, as to the truth of it, I guess those people who are having a negative time in NZ will be pleased to have somewhere full of like minded people.

Perhaps asking here for people's negative view on NZ might also work for you?

For me it's the lack of insulation in houses. I'm pretty content otherwise
    Last edited by YouMeAndThree; 9th March 2011 at 08:18 AM.

For those unfamiliar, it appears to be a website of people sharing stories (whether true or untrue - that seems to be up for debate) about the horrid living conditions in NZ for expats. Subsequently, many of the posters have already left or are "desperately" attempting to leave the country.

I don't necessarily believe what they are saying - seeing as how this forum is almost the complete 180 degrees from what they are saying. I just wondered if there was any truth to any of it that any other expats have found in their own experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by interiordesignr View Post
    Is there any truth at all to the horrid stories posted on the expatexposed?
    As usual you cannot generalise it - please specify.

Things like:

1.) Rental housing is atrocious, overcharged for dampy, moldy and filthy housing.
    2.) Native kiwis being unkind towards foreigners, some people claim they've lived there a year or more without making a single friend
    3.) Bullying at work to the point of not being asked to participate in work meetings because they have had ideas during past meetings or being told that your qualifications don't mean anything here or "we don't expect much out of you".

Those are just a few examples that I can remember offhand.

It is a bit scary to see a site like that out there that is a complete contradiction of everything on this forum. I don't know the background of the folks who started or participate in the site, so I was looking for some feedback on it from the perspective of everyone here - who genuinely seems happy living in NZ.

Sorry for the generalization, that was my mistake for assuming most would be aware of this site.

You may like to read these past threads on here to give you a better insight

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....=expat+exposed

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....=expat+exposed

Things like:

1.) Rental housing is atrocious, overcharged for dampy, moldy and filthy housing.
    2.) Native kiwis being unkind towards foreigners, some people claim they've lived there a year or more without making a single friend
    3.) Bullying at work to the point of not being asked to participate in work meetings because they have had ideas during past meetings or being told that your qualifications don't mean anything here or "we don't expect much out of you".
    From my own perspective:

1) We've had 3 rentals, 1 short term, the other 2 for over a year each. They have all been lovely, not damp, mouldy or filthy. Our current rental had a complete overhaul before we moved in - new paintwork thoughout, new shower room, new kitchen with new appliances, major garden overhaul too by all accounts. However, that is not to say that we viewed some unpleasant properties before finding suitable ones.

2) Have not yet met an unfriendly Kiwi - I think all of my contact has been the opposite. Very helpful and welcoming with many offers of help when we were initially settling in.

3) I'm a SAHM, so don't know what the work ethics are like, but my DH does not appear to have any problems and brought all his UK knowledge with him which has led to some specific work roles within his company due to lack of experience of other employees. (he's a fuel tanker driver, but had 22years of fuels, dangerous goods and mechanical vehicles driving experience from his RAF career) He actually went into a work meeting yesterday, on his day off.

About rentals - NZ has laws, with teeth, on this issue. A tenant most definitely has rights. http://www.dbh.govt.nz/tenants-index My son and daughter-in-law have lived in eight rented homes over the last eleven years, and of these, they were only unhappy with two - one was due to dislike of the landlord, and there were maintenance issues with the other, which the law helped get sorted. (And I've been in four of these homes, and they were BEAUTIFUL.)

About making friends, I think it's a two-way process - who's to say how many friends the negative posters had in their original country? In my experience, people with a suspicious or hostile attitude will find this reflected back to them.

I've loved all the time I've spent in NZ, and this is in part due to the kindness that seems to be general - pause and look around in the street, and someone will usually ask if you need directions. I've only had cross words from ONE Kiwi stranger, of all the hundreds I've met, and that was when I wouldn't agree with a rude remark he was making about somebody else (which tended to show his own nature, I felt).

Not having moved yet, I cannot comment definitively, but you have to wonder about a site that has NOTHING but negative things to say. Just as you should not trust one with NOTHING but positive things to say. That's one great thing about emigratenz.org. You hear the good and the bad. Some may be biased one way or the other, but you get comments on all side.

Things like:
    re 1: I think it is appropriate value for money here.
    re 2: My experience is different and I have now quite a few; having said that it is easier to become friends with Kiwis who where overseas for some time.
    re 3: I have never been bullied or my ideas been rejected because I am foreigner - and worse() no native English speaker!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast