Thread: Cabs in AKL and AKL aquarium

Default Cabs in AKL and AKL aquarium

1.Do you have to have booster seats if you use a cab in NZ?

We will be going on our 2nd (1st for hubby and kids) reccie trip in 2 weeks and will be spending overnight and about 24 hrs in AKL from arriving from the US until we pick up our campervan. Our kids are 4/6 and we are hiring booster seats in the van, not carrying ours over. We want to get a cab to see some friends of ours in AKL.

2.Also any idea of a cab fare from AKL airport area to Glen Eden?

3.Last question....has anybody been to the aquarium? It looked like it would be a lot of fun for us esp with kids.
    Thanks.

Aquarium? If you mean Kelly Tarlton's, it is a GREAT experience with kids (and for you ) - I've done it with the grandchildren.

Kelly Tarltons is wicked, even for adults! We had discount vouchers for it, I'll bet they are still around at info centres.

Kelly Tarlton's is great fun for kids (and big kids like me and OH). We picked up discount vouchers in one of the freebie magazines at the airport. You can catch a free shuttle bus from near Britomart/ferry terminal area along to the aquarium - you can't miss it: it's a big minibus with a fin and sharks head on the front (OH got all excited, the overgrown kid that he is). I hope that wasn't just for the Mega-shark prehistoric exhibition they were running at the time.

Inside, the moving walkway through the aquarium tunnels was fun, and i really liked the seahorses. We both loved the penguins that you see when you go on the Sno-cat type ride through their enclosure. The moulting ones who were outgrowing their juvenile coats were particularly amusing - they looked really grumpy to have coats that were a bit shabby and crap .

There's also a colossal squid tentacle near the stingray pool which is rather funky. As a friend said
    "colossal squids: I go ick but in my heart of hearts I think coooool!!"

You'll love it. The view across to the CBD and Rangitoto from outside the aquarium is worth a photo too.

P

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    1.Do you have to have booster seats if you use a cab in NZ?

2.Also any idea of a cab fare from AKL airport area to Glen Eden?
    1. No, according to this NZ Transport Agency factsheet: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/fa...o-the-law.html
    A child doesn't have to be in an approved child restraint if they're travelling in a:
    passenger service vehicle (eg taxi, shuttle, bus) when no appropriate child restraint is available.
    However, where a safety belt is available in any of these vehicles, the child must be restrained, and where an approved child restraint is available, it must be used (where appropriate for the child's age and weight).

Taxi companies will probably provide child restraints if you give them reasonable notice.
    2. As an indication, the airport website says a taxi from airport to CBD is about $60 - $80.

I am sure there is a bus now from the aiport to the city. We paid $60 from the North Shore to the Airport, took a bit of shopping around though and we agreed a fixed price with the taxi man.

I didn't really finish my train of thought up there - what I meant to say was, the airport website says a taxi from airport to CBD is about $60 - $80, so I would imagine it would be that much or more to get to Glen Eden each way, so it possibly would be cheaper to rent a car for the day (public transport isn't really an option for travel from Mangere to Glen Eden) or maybe your friends in Glen Eden could pick you up or something?