Thread: Rejected PR Applications

Default Rejected PR Applications

A bit of an odd question, but I haven't come across any posts about this- which I'm hoping is a good thing, but does anyone have any idea on what grounds a PR application may be rejected?

Am coming to the end of compiling all documents to send off with my ITA, and am naturally starting to wonder 'what if?'. We're getting really excited now at the prospect of moving, but also can't help wondering what if we don't get the result we want.

Can anyone offer anything to put my mind to rest? I have been totally honest in my application and have everything to support it- perhaps I'm being just a little pessimistic now that it's coming to the end.

Thanks!

Medical and Character seem to be the two most common reasons for rejection.

Also, if you do not have a job offer, then INZ will want to ensure you have means to support yourself.

Finally, if they ultimately disagreed with your points claim, you might get rejected too. If you have sufficient backup, you should win a battle, but I can't swear there wouldn't be a battle.

I think that's about the worst of it. If you are comfortable on all counts, I should think it would go well in the end (though not always smoothly on the way, so be prepared but confident).

Good luck

If the points are all rightly claimed, then, as SueDonim said, problems can arise with the medical, a murky past, perhaps (but I don't think I've heard on here of anyone being refused a character waiver), AND issues with potential to settle discovered at interview.

From the INZ operations manual. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/index.htm
    SM21.10 Assessment of whether a principal applicant can realise their potential to successfully settle and contribute

Assessment of whether a principal applicant can otherwise demonstrate an ability or can realise their potential to settle in and contribute to New Zealand will be based on:
    information obtained during a structured interview with the principal applicant and if required, other family members included in the application; and
    all other information contained in the application for a resident visa; and
    any further verification of the application (including information provided at interview).
    That assessment will include consideration of the following factors:
    employment prospects;
    familiarity with New Zealand and preparedness for settlement of the principal applicant and, where relevant, the partner and dependent children included in the application; and
    linkages and support in New Zealand, through networks and family.
    If an immigration officer assesses that a principal applicant has not demonstrated the ability to successfully settle and contribute but can realise their potential to successfully settle in and contribute to New Zealand the principal applicant will be eligible for the grant of a work visa (subject to the requirements of WR6 being met) to enable them to realise their potential by obtaining an offer of skilled employment (see SM7) in New Zealand.
    Principal applicants who are in New Zealand and are granted work visas under these instructions will have the decision on their SMC application deferred for a period of nine months.
    Principal applicants who are not in New Zealand and are granted work visas under these instructions will have the decision on their SMC application deferred for a period of 12 months to enable travel to New Zealand and a stay in New Zealand of nine months (refer to WR6.5).
    Where, following the further assessment, a principal applicant, despite not meeting the requirements of SM21.5(a), is assessed as having a high potential to readily obtain skilled employment in New Zealand, they will be assessed as having demonstrated the ability to successfully settle in and contribute to New Zealand. Where this occurs, subject to meeting other relevant requirements, the principal applicant and their family members included in the application, may be granted resident visas.
    If an immigration officer determines, as a result of the further assessment, that a principal applicant has not demonstrated they can realise their potential to settle in and contribute to New Zealand, their application for a resident visa in New Zealand under the Skilled Migrant Category will be declined.
    If (c) above applies, but a work visa is not granted, the application for a resident visa will be declined.

Are there any minimum length of stay in New Zealand before we can apply for Permanent Resident?
    Is it true that we must at least have been stay in NZ for two years?
    I remembered to read it somewhere in the http://www.immigration.govt.nz but I can't find it now

Thanks

William

Hello and welcome.

I assume you mean, if you go in on a Residence visa under the Skilled Migrant Scheme? You don't have to have been in the country for two complete years, but it has to be two years since you arrived as a migrant before you apply. If you are granted Residence, you have two years travel conditions along with that, which allow you to go freely in and out of NZ. After two years, if you qualify, you can claim Permanent Residence, and here are the requirements.http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm As you will see on the link, you have to have held your Residence visa (activated) for at least two years, and you have to have demonstrated commitment to New Zealand. This last usually includes spending at least 184 days out of each of the two twelve-month periods since arrival actually in New Zealand.

Hi Sarah,

I was searching an old post regarding rejected PR application, I'm glad we are thinking the same.
    Last week I submitted all my original documents and CO already being assigned to me as well, the only pending documents are my original work agreement in New Zealand (I've already been working here for 5 Months), and a "National Security Check" Form ( I'm Indonesian, I didn't know if that's the case or maybe because I've been in Yemen for 3 months).

Now the one that makes me worried are what happen if my PR is rejected, can I re-apply again? Or if I want to re-new my working Visa is it going to be a problems?

Thank You all for help.

Cheers.

Hello.

You've posted on a really old thread, and Sarah hasn't logged onto the forum now for more than a year, so may not see your message.

It sounds as though the application you have got in is for Residence under the Skilled Migrant Category - is that right? (INZ changed the names of visa in November of 2010, so the first visa you get under Skilled Migrant isn't called PR any more, but Residence.)

I think everyone worries while their application is being processed, but you have to try to keep calm while all the checks go through. If you have nothing bad in your past, or any of the problems mentioned in post #3 above, INZ will see that when they've had a chance to look. If you qualify for Residence, it should come through. If there is something missing that causes it to be refused, but later you put that right, yes, you could re-apply. And yes, sometimes people can get a work visa even if not a residence visa.

Hi JandM,

You are truly the best moderator in all the forums I've been in to , Thanks for the enlightenment..
    Yup You are right, it supposed to be Residence under the Skilled Migrant Category, let's cross finger then, I hope it will be OK, i don't want to spent another $2500++ for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Hello.

You've posted on a really old thread, and Sarah hasn't logged onto the forum now for more than a year, so may not see your message.

It sounds as though the application you have got in is for Residence under the Skilled Migrant Category - is that right? (INZ changed the names of visa in November of 2010, so the first visa you get under Skilled Migrant isn't called PR any more, but Residence.)

I think everyone worries while their application is being processed, but you have to try to keep calm while all the checks go through. If you have nothing bad in your past, or any of the problems mentioned in post #3 above, INZ will see that when they've had a chance to look. If you qualify for Residence, it should come through. If there is something missing that causes it to be refused, but later you put that right, yes, you could re-apply. And yes, sometimes people can get a work visa even if not a residence visa.

Breathe... All the best for hearing some good news in due course.