Thread: Few Qs for fellow Chch people

Default Few Qs for fellow Chch people

Is drinking water safe yet? I tried checking NZherald but couldn't find the information about that.

We've also moved into a rental house a couple months ago; applied to Genesis energy to power our house, sent in application and everything, they came a month later to do the first meter reading and then told us they couldn't do us because ours was a prepay meter or something (?).So they told us to call Meridian. A week after that, though, before I could find the time to call Meridian, the earthquake happened. So basically now we still have power, but we don't have any particular supplier to pay the bills to! I tried calling Meridian a couple times recently, but the call centre still has the prerecorded message not to call unless it's urgent (and the waiting times are horrendous). Should I just persevere or wait? Will they cut my power if I don't?

Quote Originally Posted by althea View Post
    Is drinking water safe yet? I tried checking NZherald but couldn't find the information about that.
    I suggest not using secondary sources but original ones!

There is a compilation of links within this forum here: http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33033

Amongst others there you will find http://canterburyearthquake.org.nz/ and http://www.civildefence.co.nz/

At least another 2 weeks yet

Yup, water must still be boiled I'm afraid.

Regards power, you can bet that once things settle down a bit Meridian will ask for payment for what you've been using... Annoying, but at least you still have power. And no, they won't cut your power (I am assured this by a colleague who used to work for Meridain)

Thanks for the links.

The problem is I haven't even signed up with Meridian. I have no idea who's even supplying us with power now, since we were supposed to sign up with our own energy provider once we rented the house.

It should be Meridian still - we found that the old occupier of our place hadn't told them she was moving, let alone given a forwarding address or final meter reading.. Powershop sorted the change over themselves though...

Did you record a meter reading when you moved in?