Thread: Re: Goods that ok to ship

Default Re: Goods that ok to ship

Hi,

Probably post on this already but said I would ask anyhow.

We have a large selection of whiskeys which my OH has colllected over past 20 years. Some have been opened and sampled others remain unopened.

Is it possible to ship open bottles i.e get them resealed before shipement? Am I correct in thinking sealed bottles will be ok for shipement.

Any other foodstuffs we may be unable to ship and ? any suggestions on foodstuffs we should bring with us

Thanks in advance

There has been some information posted recently about foods you can ship. Personally I wouldn't bother, especially if you are paying for your own container costs.

The food here in New Zealand is fine, supermarkets stock everything you could want to buy and there is plenty of fresh fish, meat, fruit and vegetables available at markets. That's part of the fun of moving to another country in my opinion, finding out what food is for sale, going to the shops and the market, finding out what other people cook and eat.
    Good luck with your preparations!

The packers, unbeknown to me at the time, packed some bottles of alchohol (most of which were half full), and put them in the box marked 'kitchen. These bottles were stored ontop of the fridge which they knew not to touch, but they found the bottles and packed them without asking me.

I didn't declare them cos I didn't know they were there!

Quote Originally Posted by barneybetty View Post
    any suggestions on foodstuffs we should bring with us
    Just bring what you think you will miss to help you with the transition and ease you into NZ shopping - if you are a fan of Walker/King/Tayto crisps, Ballymaloe relish (I miss this!), your fav brand of teabags/coffee etc. But you will find equivalents here, just takes a bit of time to figure out what's what, or which brand of tea/coffee you prefer.

We have a large selection of whiskeys which my OH has colllected over past 20 years. Some have been opened and sampled others remain unopened.
    Most people say dont bring alochol 'cos it needs to be declared and not worth the cost of duty on it. However when it is a collectible item such as the Whiskey above - I am not so sure. Have you asked the movers to check this out.

I know once your liquids are sealed you should be fine to bring them - just make sure they are wrapped properly.

I am not advocating - but it seems some people have got away with putting a bottle or two in undescribed boxes etc!!!!!

As for foodstuffs - you are not supposed to import anything like this - but once again as above think people have done it - check some other posts.. What killed me most was having to bin all my spices and herbs before leaving and having restock over here.. Well actually I gave most of them away in the end - but a real pain as had quite a stock..

Ballymaloe relish (I miss this!),
    oooo yes, miss this too.. even my kiwi husband loved it!!

Good luck - did you choose your removal company yet??

We brought a couple boxes of food -- canned goods like sauces, soups, beans, a bulk pkg of several pasta pkgs, other basics (beans, et), coffee beans, things like peanut butter, all our spices. You can find most of this here (or better), but what we appreciated is that since we were shipping a container anyway...let's fill it! and we appreciated that we shipped our goods 3 months before we shipped ourselves (thus the expense of the food stocking was 3mos earlier). so when we landed in NZ & our container arrived a few days later, it was wonderful not having to buy all the basics...staples. When you land you are bleeding money left and right, it's handy to have that expense out of the way. It's an individual preference, though.

We brought a couple boxes of food -- canned goods like sauces, soups, beans, a bulk pkg of several pasta pkgs, other basics (beans, et), coffee beans, things like peanut butter, all our spices. You can find most of this here (or better), but what we appreciated is that since we were shipping a container anyway...let's fill it! and we appreciated that we shipped our goods 3 months before we shipped ourselves (thus the expense of the food stocking was 3mos earlier). so when we landed in NZ & our container arrived a few days later, it was wonderful not having to buy all the basics...staples. When you land you are bleeding money left and right, it's handy to have that expense out of the way. It's an individual preference, though.
    Agree about the financial aspect - that was the worst - we dropped $700 in Pak n Save restocking again..
    Really didnt believe we could get away with bringing this stuff over in the container. All the removal companies were sooo against and wouldnt pack it.. ho hum - hindsight hey??

Did you have any MAF issues with the foodstuffs?