Thread: Surname Spelling mismatch Problem

Default Surname Spelling mismatch Problem

Dear Friends,
    My last name [surname] is "Gunasekera". But the problem is most of the places [certificates/letters] my name displays as "Gunasekera" [Note : KERA]. But in my degree final certificate & Passport it displays as "Gunasekara" [Note : KARA]. There is a one letter spelling mismatch.
    Will it cause an any issue in the process ?

Thx a lot.
    Yohan.

Quote Originally Posted by yohanken View Post
    Dear Friends,
    My last name [surname] is "Gunasekera". But the problem is most of the places [certificates/letters] my name displays as "Gunasekera" [Note : KERA]. But in my degree final certificate & Passport it displays as "Gunasekara" [Note : KARA]. There is a one letter spelling mismatch.

Thx a lot.
    Yohan.
    I assume that you surname actually is not written using the letters of the Latin alphabet. So you might come away with an explanation that different organisations used different rules for the transliteration.

Dear Ralf-NZ,
    Do you have any idea that is there any NZ government body that I can check this before submitting & preparing letters.
    Thx a lot.
    Yohan.

Dear Ralf-NZ,
    Do you have any idea that is there any NZ government body that I can check this before submitting & preparing letters.
    Thx a lot.
    Yohan.
    Just ask INZ directly via their contact form perhaps.

Dear Friends,

Thx a lot.
    Yohan.
    Dar friend,

As a fellow Lankan I'm advising you to get a statuary declaration form a lawyer explaining the difference & its referring to one person. I know its just one letter but it is better to avoid such!!

Good Luck!

Dear lilKiwi,
    Thx a lot for an advice. I will take necessary actions to get a statuary declaration.
    Thx again

Quote Originally Posted by lilKiwi View Post
    Dar friend,

As a fellow Lankan I'm advising you to get a statuary declaration form a lawyer explaining the difference & its referring to one person. I know its just one letter but it is better to avoid such!!

Good Luck!
    Better to err on the side of caution and get it sorted BEFORE you go any further. As I had a similar issue with my middle name being present on my birth certificate and my UK driving licence but missing on my UK passport.

NZIS asked me to get a police certificate with both names and also to declare that I was regardless of my middle name the same person. Which was acceptable to them but I still had problems getting a NZ driving licence.

i had an Irish passport with a middle named I have never used and a UK passport without it.

it became a problem with INZ and I needed a carefully worded statutory declaration to explain why the discrepancy occurred and what name I will always be known by .. so yes do get a statutory declaration now rather than later.

Thx a lot friends. That will be helpfull.