Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Surname Spelling mismatch Problem

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sri Lanka
    Posts
    58

    Default Surname Spelling mismatch Problem

    Dear Friends,
    My last name [surname] is "Gunasekera". But the problem is most of the places [certificates/letters] my name displays as "Gunasekera" [Note : KERA]. But in my degree final certificate & Passport it displays as "Gunasekara" [Note : KARA]. There is a one letter spelling mismatch.
    Will it cause an any issue in the process ?

    Thx a lot.
    Yohan.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ōtepoti, Aotearoa
    Posts
    2,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yohanken View Post
    Dear Friends,
    My last name [surname] is "Gunasekera". But the problem is most of the places [certificates/letters] my name displays as "Gunasekera" [Note : KERA]. But in my degree final certificate & Passport it displays as "Gunasekara" [Note : KARA]. There is a one letter spelling mismatch.
    Will it cause an any issue in the process ?

    Thx a lot.
    Yohan.
    I assume that you surname actually is not written using the letters of the Latin alphabet. So you might come away with an explanation that different organisations used different rules for the transliteration.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sri Lanka
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Dear Ralf-NZ,
    Do you have any idea that is there any NZ government body that I can check this before submitting & preparing letters.
    Thx a lot.
    Yohan.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ōtepoti, Aotearoa
    Posts
    2,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yohanken View Post
    Dear Ralf-NZ,
    Do you have any idea that is there any NZ government body that I can check this before submitting & preparing letters.
    Thx a lot.
    Yohan.
    Just ask INZ directly via their contact form perhaps.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    LK -> NZ
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yohanken View Post
    Dear Friends,
    My last name [surname] is "Gunasekera". But the problem is most of the places [certificates/letters] my name displays as "Gunasekera" [Note : KERA]. But in my degree final certificate & Passport it displays as "Gunasekara" [Note : KARA]. There is a one letter spelling mismatch.
    Will it cause an any issue in the process ?

    Thx a lot.
    Yohan.
    Dar friend,

    As a fellow Lankan I'm advising you to get a statuary declaration form a lawyer explaining the difference & its referring to one person. I know its just one letter but it is better to avoid such!!

    Good Luck!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sri Lanka
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Dear lilKiwi,
    Thx a lot for an advice. I will take necessary actions to get a statuary declaration.
    Thx again

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Waimauku near Auckland
    Posts
    502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lilKiwi View Post
    Dar friend,

    As a fellow Lankan I'm advising you to get a statuary declaration form a lawyer explaining the difference & its referring to one person. I know its just one letter but it is better to avoid such!!

    Good Luck!
    Better to err on the side of caution and get it sorted BEFORE you go any further. As I had a similar issue with my middle name being present on my birth certificate and my UK driving licence but missing on my UK passport.

    NZIS asked me to get a police certificate with both names and also to declare that I was regardless of my middle name the same person. Which was acceptable to them but I still had problems getting a NZ driving licence.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    M'side(UK) - Welly - Waikanae
    Posts
    535

    Default

    i had an Irish passport with a middle named I have never used and a UK passport without it.

    it became a problem with INZ and I needed a carefully worded statutory declaration to explain why the discrepancy occurred and what name I will always be known by .. so yes do get a statutory declaration now rather than later.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sri Lanka
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Thx a lot friends. That will be helpfull.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •