Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commute From Hamilton to Auckland

Default Commute From Hamilton to Auckland

Hey there,

What's the commute like from Hamilton to Auckland? I won't have a car for the initial few months and was wondering how long I should expect it to take by train or bus. Also, I assume the traffic is a nightmare by car, so is it even worth considering this at a later date?

While I'm on the subject, any rough indications on the daily cost by train\bus?

Thanks in advance!

Stu

Check out Intercity Coachlines:

http://www.intercity.co.nz/

About 2 hours by bus at around $20 one way.

Bevan

Quote Originally Posted by stoorob View Post
    Hey there,

What's the commute like from Hamilton to Auckland?
    Long! Whereabouts in Auckland will you be heading to (it's a long way from one side to the other)?

Auckland itself has the Maxx website for planning journeys, but it won't cover Hamilton

Not really feasible, to be honest! It's at least one and half hours by car to Manukau, so much further into the city. You'll probably find the bus infrequent and geared for tourists, not commuters. There is no train service other than a tourist route but there might be in a few years.

I made a round-trip travel AKL-Hamilton-AKL recently. I agree that its probably not doable as a commute with about 2 hr ride each way. It was rush hour when I made the trip back and the bus was about 30 minutes late in arriving at downtown.

There's another bus company nakedbus (yes, that's the name!) that services this route. The fare's slightly cheaper than the other company.

I sometimes drive from Manukau to Hamilton, it took me between 1 hour to 1 hour and fifteen minutes.

No traffic delay at the motorway at all, it is, I sometimes make a stop at huntly for an icecream at the information centre.

Yeah, if it will be on daily basis it will be so hectic but in my case once a week or once fortnightly, I enjoy it by listening to Audio books, it is much better than travelling to Albany and cross the harbour bridge for example.

Hope I provided useful info.

Quote Originally Posted by AliIsmailNZ View Post
    I sometimes drive from Manukau to Hamilton, it took me between 1 hour to 1 hour and fifteen minutes.

No traffic delay at the motorway at all, it is, I sometimes make a stop at huntly for an icecream at the information centre.

Yeah, if it will be on daily basis it will be so hectic but in my case once a week or once fortnightly, I enjoy it by listening to Audio books, it is much better than travelling to Albany and cross the harbour bridge for example.

Hope I provided useful info.
    But that's the opposite way, and you're doing that against the flow of traffic which is why the journey time is so much shorter.

Thanks for the replies, pretty much what I was expecting really. OK, Hamilton to Auckland as a commute is out. Trying to see if the prospective client will be able to find work for me in Hamilton as this is where we'd rather stay (when compared to Auckland).

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by stoorob View Post
    Thanks for the replies, pretty much what I was expecting really. OK, Hamilton to Auckland as a commute is out. Trying to see if the prospective client will be able to find work for me in Hamilton as this is where we'd rather stay (when compared to Auckland).

Stu
    Any thoughts on Pukekohe - an easier commute to Auckland than from Hamilton, but close enough to the city to enjoy the benefits should you wish to use them. I live in a rural area between Pukekohe and Manukau and love it here.

Or what about Waiuku?

Of course this does all depends on how far into Auckland you need to travel. My DH works in Wiri and has no problems with the travel/traffic.

I have a colleague who does Hamilton-Auckland daily by car. He has slightly different working hours, think he starts at 7am and finishes at 3 to avoid the worst traffic.

Wouldn't do it myself, though.

Daniela

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast