Thread: Flights to NZ

Default Flights to NZ

Hello,

My OH has recently accepted a job in Wanganui. We are now trying to get sorted for his start date 7th June 2011. Which seems to be coming round very quickly!!

Does anyone have any recommendations as to who to fly with from Manchester? We will be flying with our three girls aged 4, 4 and 2. On price alone, Qantas seems to be the best.

Thanks
    Em

Hi Em

Singapore are coming in at £2928 all in flying into Auckland at the end of May

Supposed to be a good route and stop off airport as opposed to LA!!!!

Regards

Andrew

Hi Em,

We flew to Oz 3 yrs ago with Singapore and they were fantastic to travel with, really helpful on board, good transit etc that was with our (then) 6mnth old DD.

We flew to NZ last year (August) with our (then) 3yr old DD and our 5mth old DS with Emirates who were also great - didn't like Dubai airport as a transfer airport as much as Singapore - no facilities for breastfeeding parents - OH had to do it sat on a bin in the changing room, but I'd guess that's not an issue for you anyway. That said, they were also excellent service wise, really made a fuss of the kids, particularly my DD who ended up in one of the hostesses hats in front of an Emirates screen having her photo taken for a souvenir - thought she was going to end up in their promo material! Also, the entertainment system on board all flights we had was amazing - my DD must have watched 101 Dalmations 8 times on the way there. Seriously massive choice for both adults and kids, all touchscreen, widescreen - very very good. Food was pretty good too - for an airplane.

Our main reason for choosing both airlines was certainly influenced by cost, but also because they fly more directly from Manchester, and neither of them require a transfer in London - which for me was important. I just figured that when you're on your way, you want to go as far as possible as quickly as possible without another stop in the UK, or we did anyway.

Cheers

We moved from Manchester last year, and came over for the recce. A few thoughts.
    1) Baggage. You'll be moving here and WILL need lots of excess baggage. Factor that into the cost.
    2) Don't do a connection to heathrow by air. Get a one way hire car (cheaper anyway for you. BMI WILL charge you a fortune no matter how much you check that the international excess baggage charges will apply. Saves a lot of stress, just drive down to heathrow.
    3) Don't beleive flight centre's first quote. You need to check the flights yourself, although as there's only a few options then it doesn't take long. Mark McCorrmack at the flight centre under City Tower was very helpful at price matching and then checking the arrangements.
    4) AirNZ via LA means that you don't need to swap planes, have your baggage moved, so there is a massive reduction in the chance that your bags go missing. If you've got all your stuff for 3 months with you that's really important.

I'll admit I'm a fan of AirNZ. Nothing against the others, but for me then it's been great, and the very low excess baggage charges made it a winner.

Thanks everyone.

Lots to think about! Cost is ofcourse a consideration but so is finding the best airline to help with the children in terms of how to keep them entertained. Then there's the luggage issues Duncan's made us aware of.

Think I might have to make a few lists about it all. When in doubt I make lists!! I have hundreds of them on the go

Smile

One thing to consider is that singapore are using the A380 out of heathrow to singapore and then the b777 -300er to Auckland.

when we flew with Air nz last year they used the B777 all the way. The stop over in LA was not great as you are kept in a holding room for 2 hrs and cannot use the facilities of the airport.

That said the team on board were awesome!!!! they could not do enough for us and our 3 children 11,9 & 3. At one point the miserable old git that sat behind my wife complained that she kept moving her seat when trying to get our youngest off to sleep (not easy at the best of times but on a long haul flight in economy, need I say more). The lovely hostess wanted to have a quiet word with him but we said that he was not worth it. She then said that they had a couple of spaces in Business class and if Tracy or I wanted to one of us could go and grab a couple of hours sleep upstairs.

It may be worth your while checking out the blurb on the websites. It would be interesting to see if either of them will allow the main visa holder any additional allowance if you are emigrating.

All the best

andrew