Thread: Dunedin - Upgrade from NEV?

Default Dunedin - Upgrade from NEV?

We've been living in NorthEast Valley (NEV) for about 10 months, and have another 8 or so left on our lease. We're starting to think about where to move next.

Right now we live in the flat, near a stream. We like the ducks, greenery, and easy walking, but we don't like the dampness [from the stream] and lack of sun [from being in the valley]. Cold and humidity are invitations to mold and bugs, and we're getting tired of that constant battle.

So we're thinking about moving up out of the valley into either Opoho or Pine Hill, or even other parts of Dunedin, in hopes of finding a house that is warmer and drier. We'd love to stay within a half-hour walk of the gardens and/or the Octagon, but if that's not possible, some other inspiring parks would suffice.

Any thoughts on a good "next step" from NEV?

Quote Originally Posted by denalipop View Post
    We've been living in NorthEast Valley (NEV) for about 10 months, and have another 8 or so left on our lease. We're starting to think about where to move next.

Right now we live in the flat, near a stream. We like the ducks, greenery, and easy walking, but we don't like the dampness [from the stream] and lack of sun [from being in the valley]. Cold and humidity are invitations to mold and bugs, and we're getting tired of that constant battle.

So we're thinking about moving up out of the valley into either Opoho or Pine Hill, or even other parts of Dunedin, in hopes of finding a house that is warmer and drier. We'd love to stay within a half-hour walk of the gardens and/or the Octagon, but if that's not possible, some other inspiring parks would suffice.

Any thoughts on a good "next step" from NEV?
    You could even stay there; on the eastern slope, perhaps a little bit up the hill towards Opoho.

What about Mornington, Roslyn, Maori Hill?
    Or take inspiring beaches and dunes instead of parks. Ocean Grove, Andersons Bay, Tainui, St Kilda?

Balmacewen or Wakari are others that might fit your criteria.

Default altitude

One point to consider though - visible just now: The higher you go the more you will have to cope with clouds, fog and drizzle. By my experience I would say try to settle less than 100 m above sea level.

So, is the sweet spot partly up one of the hills?

Quote Originally Posted by denalipop View Post
    So, is the sweet spot partly up one of the hills?
    I personally would think so - yes!

Neither too high as written before, not too low (for us at least).

When I chose the place where we are living now I didn't pay too much attention though (ignorant newbie). However a posteriori it proved to be the right one: ~ 55 m above sea level. That makes for an excellent view; not too much fog etc., no danger of being flooded.