Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drivers license

Default Drivers license

I'm not sure if anyone would know this information but I thought I would ask just in case.

Here in Canada I am in the process of getting my drivers license. I have a G1 class license, which is like a learners permit. I can only drive with someone who has had their license for two years, not on the highway etc [boy, am I kicking myself for not biting the bullet and learning to drive when i was a teenager like everyone else!] . . . I won't be able to get my full license before I plan to move to NZ. I found information on their ministry of transportation website which states that new drivers there cannot drive with anyone who has not had their NZ license for less than two years (which means I could not drive with my Fiance there ).

So, to my question. does anyone know if I will be able to take the drivers test there to get my full license as I will have gone through the process of having a learners permit here in Canada. Or would they make me go through the whole process again over there?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by alphabetty View Post
    I found information on their ministry of transportation website which states that new drivers there cannot drive with anyone who has not had their NZ license for less than two years (which means I could not drive with my Fiance there ).
    Some time ago there was the option to ask for an exemption of this regulation. So if your fiancé has a long enough driving experience they might acknowledge it.
    I cannot check their website right now to provide you with the link. However I got such an exemption on my European driver licence and thus was eligible to teach my daughter.

does anyone know if I will be able to take the drivers test there to get my full license as I will have gone through the process of having a learners permit here in Canada
    Your learner's license won't be recognized in NZ which basically means you have to go through the same hoops as a person learning to drive in NZ. If you had your full license, all what is required to get a NZ one is to pass a multiple choice exam and an eye exam.

In addition, if you choose to move back to Canada, your NZ driver's license would not be recognized to the same extent as NZ recognizing a Canada DL. In this case you would also end up doing the same learner's and practical exam as a new person wanting to learn.

The reason for the difference is that vehicles in NZ have the steering wheel on the opposite side as in N. America. Also the traffic rules are different too.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    If you had your full license, all what is required to get a NZ one is to pass a multiple choice exam and an eye exam.
    The reason for the difference is that vehicles in NZ have the steering wheel on the opposite side as in N. America. Also the traffic rules are different too.
    Actually if you held a full Canadian licence then you no longer need to do the multiple choice exam.

Why is it that NZ considers the traffic rules to be similar enough but Canada doesn't?

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Some time ago there was the option to ask for an exemption of this regulation. So if your fiancé has a long enough driving experience they might acknowledge it.
    I cannot check their website right now to provide you with the link. However I got such an exemption on my European driver licence and thus was eligible to teach my daughter.
    Here is a link to the form you might use: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/dr...pplication.pdf
    It changed quite a bit since I used its predecessor. However if you stated in question 4 your fiancés circumstances I would think the exemption will be granted.

Actually if you held a full Canadian licence then you no longer need to do the multiple choice exam.
    When I converted mine, I had to do a theory test. But it looks like this has changed as below shows Canada being one of the countries that don't have to do the test:

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/fa...w-zealand.html

Why is it that NZ considers the traffic rules to be similar enough but Canada doesn't?
    Because the fact is they're not similar. A good example is the give way rules at intersections, more often the use of different traffic lights (Canada rarely use arrowed lights to indicate a lane to turn on). I'm actually surprised there are less requirements for overseas migrants converting to NZ DL than what was required when I did mine.

To be clear, if a NZ full license holder can prove more than 2 years of driving experience, then there's no need to do any testing if they reside in the province of BC (when they convert their DL). But Canada, like the USA, is a big country and driving license authorities are issued by the province / territory so the requirements may differ. Perhaps NZ doesn't want to discourage migrants as much as Canada does.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...ntry/australia

Thanks for the info, I guess I got bad news and good news. At least you only have to wait 6 months with the new Zealand learners permit. In Ontario they make you wait an entire year, hence my conundrum! Oh boy I am wishing I hadn't put off getting my license!!

I converted my british driving license without any multiple choice exam, they only tested eye sight. (back in october 2010)

[QUOTE=Super_BQ;400604]If you had your full license, all what is required to get a NZ one is to pass a multiple choice exam and an eye exam.
    QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by alphabetty View Post
    Thanks for the info, I guess I got bad news and good news. At least you only have to wait 6 months with the new Zealand learners permit. In Ontario they make you wait an entire year, hence my conundrum! Oh boy I am wishing I hadn't put off getting my license!!
    If you have the equivalent of a learner licence from another country you can apply for an exemption from having to wait 6 months until you can take your restricted test. Peebles16 mentioned how she went about applying for the exemption in this post: http://www.enz.org/forum/showpost.ph...&postcount=110

If you're only a learner, I don't see the issue in just doing the theory test in NZ and getting your NZ learner licence. It means you'll learn all the road rules etc. and you only have to wait 6 months to take your restricted licence test. If your fiance cannot drive with you/teach you, but you think you have enough experience on Canadian roads, a few lessons with a qualified instructor should be enough to get you to pass the restricted licence test.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast