Thread: Tools across the seas

Default Tools across the seas

Hi all

I am looking to be travelling over to NZ at the beginning of July and start working on a temporary work visa as an electrician.

Has anyone experience of sending over tools in advance, with who, at what cost and how long to take?

Thank very kindly

Be very careful with the duty doing it that way. You may be liable to pay GST on the goods.

You shouldn't be subjected to GST as long as the tools have been used and also are in the line of work. No intention to resell them if you brought in 100s of items to be sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    You shouldn't be subjected to GST as long as the tools have been used and also are in the line of work. No intention to resell them if you brought in 100s of items to be sold.
    Can you point to where you think there wouldn't be any GST. I know about the exclusion for persopnal belongings for people with PR or a 2 year work visa, but not for temporary. Also you need to have arrived in NZ before the goods under PR to avoid the SGT - there was a post form a forumite recently who fell foul of these rules.

Hello and welcome.

Can you point to where you think there wouldn't be any GST
    I'm speaking when flying in and passing through NZ customs. Tools of trade can be considered the clothing in the suitcase providing there is no intention to resell.

A doctor could be bringing in expensive medical equipment or the USAF recovery team flying in with their expensive life saving tools. Maybe i'm speaking of a grey area and technically, GST or a bond should be placed when they arrive and refunded when they depart NZ.

Contact this guy, nick chandler

<chandlerconsulting@xtra.co.nz>

He arranges certification courses for electricians coming over from the UK and has a wide knowledge of everything involved in sparks coming over from the UK. If he does not know he will put you in touch with someone who does. He was extremely helpful with me when I first came over

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Hi all

I am looking to be travelling over to NZ at the beginning of July and start working on a temporary work visa as an electrician.

Has anyone experience of sending over tools in advance, with who, at what cost and how long to take?

Thank very kindly
    Hi we had extra bag allowance because of visa and my husband took his tools on flight with us with no problem. I have been advised by Pickfords that we can fly 20kilos for around 300 pounds, the more 20kilos you fly the cheaper it is?????????

20kg with parcels to go will be £96 assuming they all fit in an archive box. I did that at xmas. But this still needs an 'Unacompnaied baggage form' and some MAF fees of about $40. BUT I say again, it is my understanding that you need to arrive before they do on a PR or 2 year visa to avoid MAF charges. I am still waiting to see any reference to where this won't apply.

When flying in to NZ airport, doesn't the MAF charge only applies if bringing in food or wood products that have to be tested?

When I flew in last year, AirNZ was very kind to me. I brought over a central vacuum unit as my 2nd check in and expected to pay a 2nd baggage surcharge or at the minimum, the oversize baggage fee. However, checking in at YVR airport (flying to AKL) counter, the worker made no mention of a fee. She just directed me to take the rather large box to the oversize counter and that was it. Checked in all the way through to Christchurch.

Upon arrival, I went through customs and paid the GST. The officer said good time to bring goods in as GST was still 12.5%.