Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching assistant in special needs education

Default Teaching assistant in special needs education

HI,

I'm living in Germany and studying special needs education. Next year I'll have my final exams (done in June or July 2012).
    After this I'd like to go to NZ for about one year and assist a teacher.
    Are there any special schools for children with special needs?
    Besides, in the internet I've just found volunteer jobs in this domain but I need to bring home the bacon as well
    Does anyone know if I can apply to the schools directly or do I have to apply by an agency (which is expensive)?

Please help me...!

Hello and welcome,
    I met someone from Germany recently who is doing exactly this at this school:

http://www.kimiora.school.nz/about.html

Might be worth getting in touch with them. I don't have any more information, sorry.

Hello and welcome.

thanx very much for your fast answer, girlwithanewf, but unfortunately this is also just for volunteers. Don't know how to live there without earning money...

I dont want to discourage you but I think if you need to earn whilst you are in NZ you would be wise to also have a back-up plan as you may have a problem finding a paid temporary post in this field. Unfortunately its a very popular choice for many young mothers whilst their children are small.
    The Special Needs Support system is very similar to that in UK, with most chidren having a "statement" or individual educational plan whilst remaining in mainstream schools. I suspect a school would be unwilling make an appointment without a face to face interview and I think an Advisory Agency is also involved. If this is the case you would be unlikely to be earning for several weeks after arriving in NZ. Be aware also that there is no pay for school holidays.
    My daughter supports a child with severe hearing and visual difficulties and found out about of the vacancy via a friend who had a child with Special Needs in that school. Fortunately for her there appeared to be no-one else available with qualifications and experience in that field but it took several weeks to verify her qualifications etc.
    Do hope someone else is able to be more positive and everything works out for you.
    Good luck

I thank you for that honest answer.... although that makes me a little desperate..
    I actually think I should just try to contact some schools...

This is actually what I do! It is very difficult to get into, but if you have qualifications and experience so much the easier. There are 'special' schools in and around auckland. But all schools have TA's for their SEN children. The pay varies according to experience. It is hard to get into but you will just have to keep trying. If you are moving to the Auckland area feel free to p.m. me. Volunteer first, get your foot in the door and go for it!

I work in a special school in Hamilton - there are 2 special schools in Hamilton, and there are other schools in every major city. Jobs come up fairly regularly in our school, as the pay is not great, and the work can be very hard and physical, depending on what class you are in. I think most of our LSAs contact the school direct to express an interest. We have some who have moved here from abroad.

Thanks you both!
    I've just found the homepages of these schools in Hamilton and will try to contact them these days.

@ nickiware: why is it hard to get into? only for immigrants or in general?

Are you hoping to stay in NZ at the end of the one year? If so it would certainly make things easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast