Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Location, location, frustration...

Default Location, location, frustration...

Our little family has been studying the length and breadth of the New Zealand map, researching a few locations but are still struggling to agree on a location.

We are agreed on the North Island, saying that, we did consider Christchurch originally but since the quake the search for rented accommodation, jobs etc may become slightly more difficult.

I would be keen to hear views about Nelson.

I'm not the greatest fan of the cold weather though, wintry Wales has finished me off. I need daylight, long dark winter nights are not the greatest.

Having a young family with 3 small uns (2, 6 & 8) we would like to relocate to an area that gives more 'us time' and where they would be safe and active.

Near to the beaches, cycle routes, places to have an adventure on the weekend would be ideal!

Any suggestions along with some positives and negatives on various areas would be gratefully received.

cheers

Hi

We moved to Tauranga from North West England in Jan and we absolutely love it! Beaches are fantastic and people have been so friendly and helpful. So many activities close by and lots to keep kids occupied as they grow up.

Haven't been to Nelson as yet although we are planning a trip to see my husbands relatives. I've heard its a lovely place though.

Good luck making a decision

what do you do? that is surely a big factor in location as to the suitability of jobs,

I live on the North Shore in Auckland the weather is great a great community, safe and lots of beaches and things to do. Other than work and thats a choice we do not venture over the bridge as there is everything you need on the shore in fact if you talk to anyone from Auckland they will say the same about their area.

One thing about NZ is the traditional town centre you have in UK does not exisit the cities are made up of ots and lots of suburbs. in auckland particuarly you will find very few people go into the city for shopping etc as everything is local. The same can be said of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by Janey View Post
    what do you do? that is surely a big factor in location as to the suitability of jobs,
    I thought about that today, which comes first the job or the location. I'm looking at Database Administrator positions. Auckland does seem to have the lions share of jobs available in this field as it is so big.

As I have never been a city dweller, I suppose I'm a bit daunted by the prospect of so many people around me and big tall buildings, but if the work is only available for me here, I'll have to pay Auckland a lot more attention than I am at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by joanne123777 View Post
    Hi
    We moved to Tauranga from North West England in Jan and we absolutely love it! Beaches are fantastic and people have been so friendly and helpful. So many activities close by and lots to keep kids occupied as they grow up.
    Tauranga does seem like a place my family could settle, but again it depends on the availability of jobs. I'll keep a close eye on this place from now on.

Does Tauranga have as much rain or the same as Auckland?

I moved here from Manchester and before that London. The rain when it comes is heavier than anything you would have ever seen. However, it's compressed into very few days. I think it was the sunniest place in NZ last year. The wind tends to be a warm wind, and there was a near riot on a plane when the pilot announced that it would drop to zero degrees in the middle of winter with people literally standing up and shouting in protest that this was unheard of in the Bay. Tauranga is a lot bigger than Nelson, well located for trips to Auckland, Hamilton, Rotoroa and even Taupo should you feel the need.

big tall buildings
    Auckland isn't like typical cities in the UK and Europe. There are very few streets with big tall buildings, and those are concentrated in the CBD, where you might perhaps work, but are unlikely to live. Living areas vary enormously - you can find places that are reasonably 'towny' suburbs, villages, and bits of countryside, ALL parts of Auckland.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWA View Post
    As I have never been a city dweller, I suppose I'm a bit daunted by the prospect of so many people around me and big tall buildings,
    Auckland really is not a big city, and is about as provincial as I think I could take it.

There is no comparison to European big cities at all, I would not discount Auckland due to being too big a city (quite the opposite, actually )

Daniela

If you're a builder and want to find work fast, come to Christchurch!

Quote Originally Posted by YNWA View Post
    I would be keen to hear views about Nelson.

I'm not the greatest fan of the cold weather though, wintry Wales has finished me off. I need daylight, long dark winter nights are not the greatest.

Having a young family with 3 small uns (2, 6 & 8) we would like to relocate to an area that gives more 'us time' and where they would be safe and active.

Near to the beaches, cycle routes, places to have an adventure on the weekend would be ideal!
    First of all, a job posting in Nelson for DBA positions
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33253
    Even if you aren't here for this round of openings, they may have future opportunities
    since they are a growing group.

Some quick bits about our region - Winter here never involves snow on the ground -
    we get frosts over the winter (some areas more than others) but it warms to 10-15
    degrees almost every day. Nelson is one of the sunniest towns in NZ and has pretty
    good weather in all aspects; never super hot nor bitter cold.

I bike all year round, road and mountain, on pretty and quiet roads and a great
    variety of trails. My wife bikes to work almost every day and my 10 y/o daughter rides
    to school most of the year, along a cycle lane from town to her school.

We have 3 National Parks within one hour's drive (Nelson Lakes, Abel Tasman and Kahurangi)
    with very different terrain and activities. There are also good beaches in town (Tahunanui)
    and nearby (8km of smooth sand on Rabbit Island). There are lots of kid-centred events
    and as much stuff to do as you could ever want. We definitely have more family time and
    find the area to be safe and calm overall. Nelson has a pretty vibrant culture that exceeds
    what you might expect from a town of just over 50,000.

Let me know if you have any other questions about Nelson; I'd be happy to help.

Thanks for your quick responses, never had it so good

Duncan74 - very funny, I've done the same thing when I wake up and look at the bad weather, start ranting, wish there was someone to blame sometimes!

JandM & dharder - thanks for filling me in on the Auckland scene, I'll look at the place without as much dread as I was before.

dbonnett - thank you for the heads up on a vacancy, just a tad too soon for me, but at least there are available positions. I like the info on Nelson itself.

Super_BQ - what can I say? if I had a trade I would be alongside you in a shot, the last thing you need hindering you is teaboy? or is it? Good luck with everything down there.

Well, I was expecting one place to shine, but all locations do have positives. Ths is going to be hard, I know I'll spend sometime at each of your places, that'll be fun (only joking!)

If others members are tuning in to this thread, please feel free to add.

Whoop whoop, New Zealand looks and sounds as if its the place to be for us!
    Last edited by YNWA; 17th March 2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast